Can we have an entry test for people wanting to join DIYnot?

Sponsored Links
Good idea...You would have failed.
Should have been entered in general.... :p

Good idea...You would have failed.
Should have been entered in general.... :p

Whoops you are technically correct but I really meant THIS forum

I am 'protected' by an alarm that false alarms and a cctv system that is broken but apparently because it was professionaly installed to the regulations its perfectly allright :eek:
I even have a keyholder contract and when the alarm went off the other morning they rang me directly?? and didn't check my system password!!

I really think we need to make sure people coming on here know what they are talking about.

Hang around for a bit and you'll soon form your own opinion.

Sponsored Links
now i am curious as to how it would work?

i wouldn't mind a bit, it would prove to the posters that i am a a qualified and certified (should be) engineer

would we have to send in all of our credentials as our inspectorate/governing body docs as well?

wouldn't be a problem, i have quite a lot of qualifications for the job i do!!

Oasis

i have quite a lot of qualifications for the job

No disrespect intended I'm sure you and many others do have all the qualifications,

but,

I'm sure that many of the most entertaining (if not actually correct or factual) posts come from those members who have or would seem absolutely no qualifications

Does anybody actually have any qualifications in DIY? It wasn't an O-level option at my school. They taught us woodwork for the first two years but, sadly, that was it. :( :( :( (One or two academically inept kids were allowed to do a third year - lucky s*ds! :mad: :mad: :mad: ) My father taught at a different school where metalwork was on the syllabus but, again, there was no O-level option.

Schools do now teach something they call Craft, Design and Technology. This is no bad thing but, judging by the lash-ups our son brought home, it could best be described as Blue Peter engineering. It was definitely done on the cheap. :( :( :(

DIY is something you learn partly from books but mostly by trial and error or, if you're lucky, by watching somebody who knows what they're doing. So how do we know whether posters are giving us good advice or not? By the time-honoured method of peer review, which is also how all scientific research is evaluated. If somebody posts a bad answer they will soon be corrected. I know this because it's happened to me. :oops: :oops: :oops:

We used to have a whole morning a week for woodwork. But if we got old dan dexter talking about fishing we didn't have to do a thing, he'd gas on about it the entire time with us just sitting there nodding (off). I did learn how to make a coathanger utilising an ollie though, and a gaybox. Which is funny really cos it wasn't very straight.

so then Spacecat
what sort of requirements would you require to be able to post something on here then?

or would it just be for a certain few people here that you have annoyed in the past?

as for DIY well i studied woodwork at school and metal work
the wood work taught me a few things;
chisels hurt if you miss and let them go into your leg!!
drills are even more fun at 13/14 years old
and now i can do the following with wood
cut it into bits
drill holes in it
and burn it!!!

metalwork is much more my scene, i am not bad at it, but in no way would i take up a career in it! (to old)

as for DIY in general, i will tackle most things, but i prefer to call a mate who is a plumber / plasterer / brick layer etc.

i will stick to what i know, which is Electrical installation works (commercial industrial only) security and fire detection systems access control and CCTV.

and if any one wants any advice, just ask.

Oasis

oasistechnical said:
so then Spacecat

Just for the record, I'm Space cat. Spacecat is someone else. Confusing isn't it. :) :) :)

To answer your question, you need no qualifications to post on here. Feel free to offer advice in any forum. You'll soon find out how much you know - or don't! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: For what it's worth, I thought I could contribute to the Audio Visual forum but found myself substantially outclassed. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't think the qualifications are the point

More the blinkered biased narrow and often totally unsubstantiated views

oh here we go again! SPACECAT is reared his indecisive and uneducated bigoted self again.
oh well its a public forum, anyway DIY its fun if you do it right, and even funnier if you make mistakes, like listening/ reading any of the rantings from SPACECAT

sorry space cat my mistake, i do try to read who posted, but it has been a busy day in the office as its end of month and accountant want all the paperwork for monday!!!!!

and i have loads of quotes to get out, ordering et etc etc,

ah the life of a pro alarm engineer !!

Oasis

well spacecat we are all interested in your views,

i am just curious as to why you continue to slate those of us who DO know what they are talking about?

were or are you a teacher by any chance, because you remind me of an idiot i had in one of my training classes a few years ago.

self opinionated tit to say the least,!!

you really do remind me of him!

Oasis

Sponsored Links
Back