Data Protection and DIYnot

R

RogueHanger

Interesting point that cajar, BT and Norcon, et al inadvertently raised:
Does DIYnot operate in accordance with Data Protection requirements?
I did previously have a username of RedHerring, under which I was banned for criticising abusive posters.

Now, as soon as you are banned, you no longer have access to your profile. Thus you can't delete any personal information which you supplied in good faith.
Additionally, you can't access any of your posts to remove any personal infomation, which again you provided in good faith.
I appreciate that it could be argued that in signing on to DIYnot, a contract has been agreed to, but in banning a poster, that contract has been nullified, by DIYnot.
Moreover, DIYnot admin are legendary in their lack of response to communications, especially to banned users.

So, during subsequent use of other usernames, I have been careful to avoid disclosing any personal information for the very reason that I could not access that information once I have been banned.

Now that some posters have accessed my previous profile, they have enjoyed being abusive and resorting to profligate fantasties about my past and current private life. That doesn't bother me because I can handle such cowardly abusive attacks.
However, what is more worrying is the role that DIYnot has in facilitating this abuse by keeping my personal information, making it publicly available, etc, etc.

I summarise the requirements of the DPA below regarding personal data:
used fairly and lawfully
used for limited, specifically stated purposes
used in a way that is adequate, relevant and not excessive
accurate
kept for no longer than is absolutely necessary
handled according to people’s data protection rights
kept safe and secure
not transferred outside the UK without adequate protection

Moreover, in banning me previously, thereby denying me access to delete my data, and failing to abide by the DPA requirements, I suspect that DIYnot are woefully failing in their duty as far as personal data is concerned. This failing has been exploited by abusive posters.

I have made records of the potential infringements, for futher later advice.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the minute you post any data on here you give up ownership of said data, I may be wrong but I suspect that to be the case, in addition, how could you prove that you were the original poster and that the data has any relevance to you whatsoever?

What is the personal information that you say you have provided?

did you give your true name and address?

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the minute you post any data on here you give up ownership of said data, I may be wrong but I suspect that to be the case, in addition, how could you prove that you were the original poster and that the data has any relevance to you whatsoever?
If you read the basic requirements of the DPA, and place that in context that you no longer have access to your own data, to amend it, or delete it, then the DPA requirements may not be met.

Additionally, allowing others to abuse your data is tantamount to facilitating abuse.

Proving that the oiginal data is mine is a very minor concern, trust me. If you looked at my previous profile, you would realise why..

What is the personal information that you say you have provided?

Yes, of course. Why wouldn't one?
Additionally, one expects a social media site to act responsibly with that data.

Yes, of course. Why wouldn't one?

I suppose, because it isn't asked for

see //www.diynot.com/network/signup.php?return_url=//www.diynot.com/forums/

Where do you say you provided it?
It doesn't matter whether it is required or not. When you povide personal data, in good faith, you expect to be able to amend, delete, update it, etc.
Once you are prevented from such amending/ deletion, etc, then it should be kept in line with the DPA requirements, or so one would expect.

Additionally, it is why I have not disclosed any personal details since.
But when some posters go data-mining, then exploit that data to fuel their profligate abuse, one has a right to feel aggrieved.

I'm not an expert, but I will consult with an expert.

It would be a simple enough operation, when banning someone, to remove any personal details belonging to them. No such attempt has been made.

Moreover, I don't think that any contract can remove the basic requirements of the DPA.

you keep saying you provided personal data, but I don't see what, or why.

Please explain. Where did you put this personal data? Did you include it in your posts?

From the privacy policy [here]

Public Forums

This site makes forums available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.

Hope that helps. :D

Please explain. Where did you put this personal data? Did you include it in your posts?

Question too difficult. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's irrelevant where the infomation is because, if I put some personal data now into my post or into my profile now, I have the opportunity to amend or delete, if I so wish.

If you put some personal data, either in your pofile or in you posts, and you are banned, and you later wish to access it, you no longer have access to delete or amend it.

Moreover, it's disconcerting the lengths that obsessive abusers will go to in order to discover some personal data, in order to further pursue their abuse against an individual.

I think that DIYnot has a duty to allow an individual to delete or amend their previously disclosed personal data to avoid some posters making perverse use of that data.

Sponsored Links
Back