Good news on Personal Data Privacy

Sponsored Links
It looks as though they've outsourced the data capture and processing of the census to Lokheed Martin, and they'd have to comply with all the data protection legislation. But that's different to the DVLA handing out our personal data to whoever maks a a request for it. The govenment have the ability to share it between departments, but not to give it out to others.

It looks as though they've outsourced the data capture and processing of the census to Lokheed Martin, and they'd have to comply with all the data protection legislation. But that's different to the DVLA handing out our personal data to whoever maks a a request for it. The govenment have the ability to share it between departments, but not to give it out to others.

And that goes for debt collection agencies as well you reckon ?

Now that's an interesting point. The debt collection agencies will have have been given your address by the company that you owe money to, but I don'tknow the legality of that. No other info (age etc) will have been passed on though, but they won't have had to apply for a court order to pass the deatils over, so I'm not sure how legal this scenario is.

Good point Hawkeye.

Sponsored Links
I think the DVLA get paid for the personal data they pass on via requests to other companies etc. A few months ago I received a "Parking Charge Notice" from a private parking company, who'd requested registered owner details from DVLA. I appealed the PCN and when that was turned down by them, appealed to POPLA..... Successfully won the POPLA appeal, simply because of the fact that I'm the registered owner, doesn't mean I'm the driver of the car. At no time during the appeals process did I divulge who was driving my car.
In the NHS, we have very strict rules concerning the access or divulging of information. I can't even look up my own hospital records. If I did , I could be sacked for breach of the Data Protection Act (even though it would be my own personal data that I was looking at),,, which makes me wonder ,,, who actually owns, your own personal data? It certainly isn't you.

you own your personal data.

I wonder, how many of you have fitbits or smart wifi body analysis scales? These thing are collecting your data and selling it for medical research, life assurance, pensions etc.

Withings even published a report on obesity by post code from data collected from their customers wifi scales.

Yes. You seem to struggle with the data......
Again, how is it relevant?

The DVLA give RK information to private parking companies.

Again how is it relevant what part of UK it comes from........

I guess you dont understand the point.......

Seems to be a bit of a grey area not just with the DVLA but all government departments. What involvement should a weapons manufacturer like Lockheed Martin have in the UK census? http://www.lockheedmartin.com/uk/news/press-releases/2008-press-releases/census2011.html ultimately a private company purchasing huge amounts of public data without the complict consent of the public. Similarly, local authorities across the country use private debt collection agencies to chase debts, this is a major breach of the DPA as well.
Hawkeye is on one of his hallucinatory trips:
Lockheed Martin, who successfully provided the data capture elements of the 2001 UK Census, as well as previous censuses for Canada and the United States, has created a consortium of UK-based companies with proven experience. Team members are Broadcasting Support Services (bss), Cable & Wireless, Logica (UK) Ltd, Oracle Corporation UK, Polestar Group, Royal Mail, Steria Ltd, and UK Data Capture Ltd.

It has been perfectly normal for large corporations to move their IT systems and expertise into stand-alone units. This was possible because of the effectiveness and efficiency of their IT systems, and to help offset the cost of the IT for the parent company.

Hawkeye is on one of his hallucinatory trips:

It has been perfectly normal for large corporations to move their IT systems and expertise into stand-alone units. This was possible because of the effectiveness and efficiency of their IT systems, and to help offset the cost of the IT for the parent company.

A private company should have no dealings with public data, it's not perfectly normal and it's not acceptable. The cost of data collection and efficiency of IT systems can be achieved within the public realm, there is no excuse for it other than to reduce costs. You may or may not be aware that councils routinely contract out even the most basic public services such as bin collection and office administration tasks to private companies so that they can save money. The reason for this is that in the 1970s the UK government officially declared bankruptcy, and ever since the moiney available for services has been ring fenced to pay off interest loans. Most of what we pay in council tax does not go to public services, it goes to paying off interest loans. Many councils have taken out monstrous LOBO loans which they can never fully repay after taking advice from unscrupulous parasitic finanical advisers, often working for the interests of private banking firms themselves, who deliberately mislead in order to steal as much public money as they can get away with. The whole system is in dire straits and I don't think it's acceptable for authorities to cut corners, or worse, behave completely unlawfully, just to keep the ship above water. Again, what business a weapons manufaturer has in the UK census information is a question you should be asking yourself.

In some ways I agree. Where you have a statutory obligation to provide information to a government agency, that agency should not be allowed to moneytize that data.

You either make it freely available to everyone- like a public register or you make it available to nobody.

A private company should have no dealings with public data, ..............Again, what business a weapons manufaturer has in the UK census information is a question you should be asking yourself.
Perhaps you could look up "core business".

H
You mention the core business of the NHS is to provide healthcare - can you tell me if IT is core to that provision - health records, data exchange?

No, obviously not, It is a facilitator of the core business.
Otherwise the core business could not have been delivered without IT, (since 1945).

Then look up:
Lockheed Martin, who successfully provided the data capture elements of the 2001 UK Census, as well as previous censuses for Canada and the United States, has created a consortium of UK-based companies with proven experience.

Then you might be able to make an informed decision about whether a weapons manufacturer has access to personal data, that it should not have, or whether it is selling that data.

I think the DVLA get paid for the personal data they pass on via requests to other companies etc. A few months ago I received a "Parking Charge Notice" from a private parking company, who'd requested registered owner details from DVLA. I appealed the PCN and when that was turthem, appealed to POPLA..... Successfully won the POPLA appeal, simply because of the fact that I'm the registered owner, doesn't mean I'm the driver of the car. At no time during the appeals process did I divulge who was driving my car.
In the NHS, we have very strict rules concerning the access or divulging of information. I can't even look up my own hospital records. If I did , I could be sacked for breach of the Data Protection Act (even though it would be my own personal data that I was looking at),,, which makes me wonder ,,, who actually owns, your own personal data? It certainly isn't you.

Its employer contractual T&Cs which prevent staff accessing their own records, rather than DPA. Staff who have access to their own records often have the facility to change those records, hence the risk of dismissal of those who do.

Perhaps you could look up "core business".

Then look up:

Then you might be able to make an informed decision about whether a weapons manufacturer has access to personal data, that it should not have, or whether it is selling that data.

I've made an informed decision. It's the opposite of yours.

Sponsored Links
Back