Data Protection and DIYnot

From the privacy policy [here]

Public Forums

This site makes forums available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.

Hope that helps. :D
I think that is irrelevant because once you are banned you are denied access to retract any data you may have previously provided, in good faith.
DIYnot is retaining that data for no purpose and you cannot delete or amend it.

Sponsored Links

Public Forums

This site makes forums available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.

I think that is irrelevant because once you are banned you are denied access to retract any data you may have previously provided, in good faith.

As I've already said, I suspect that the data no longer belongs to you, it's their (DIYnot's) data.

I can see why you're miffed but I don't think there is a lot you can do about it and it's no different to other forums I knock about on; some won't even let you edit a post!

Your best bet would be to ask admin nicely if they'll make an exception for you, and, as far as the DPA is concerned I don't think that it applies in this situation.

Public Forums

As I've already said, I suspect that the data no longer belongs to you, it's their (DIYnot's) data.

I can see why you're miffed but I don't think there is a lot you can do about it and it's no different to other forums I knock about on; some won't even let you edit a post!

Your best bet would be to ask admin nicely if they'll make an exception for you, and, as far as the DPA is concerned I don't think that it applies in this situation.
I disagree, it's still my personal details and no-one can take that away from me. DIYnot are keeping it for no purpose, it's no longer accurate, and they're keeping it for an unacceptable period of time.
That's my opinion, but I'm not an expert. I need to consult an expert.

I'm not miffed about it, but I think that DIYnot has a duty to prevent personal data from being available, once that person no longer has access to it to amend or delete it.

Assume I supply my address in my profile, I am banned so I cannot delete my details. Someone accesses my details and exploits the infomation for their own perverted agenda.
DIYnot has facilitated, albeit, unwittingly, in allowing that data to be available because they have denied me access when and if I consider I need to remove it.

Sponsored Links

Public Forums

I disagree, it's still my personal details and no-one can take that away from. DIYnot are keeping it fo no purpose, it's no longer accurate, and they're keeping it for an unacceptable period of time.

I'm not miffed about it, but I think that DIYnot has a duty to prevent personal data from being available, once that person no longer has access to it to amend or delete it.

Assume I supply my address in my profile, I am banned so I cannot delete my details. Someone accesses my deatils and exploits the infomation for their own perverted agenda.
DIYnot has facilitated, albeit, unwittingly, in allowing that data to be available because they have denied me access when and if I consider I need to remove it.

That's why there is a disclaimer regarding personal details and the public nature of the forum, in addition, it's standard practise on most forums with regards to banned members losing access hence the 'banned' status.

Have you asked nicely for access to the info, assuming you could prove that it's your old account that is?

Thinking about it, how could you 'prove' that you have any claim over the closed/locked account, I'm not sure that you could.

Public Forums

I disagree, it's still my personal details and no-one can take that away from. DIYnot are keeping it fo no purpose, it's no longer accurate, and they're keeping it for an unacceptable period of time.

Assume I supply my address in my profile, I am banned so I cannot delete my details. Someone accesses my deatils and exploits the infomation for their own perverted agenda.

That's why there is a disclaimer regarding personal details and the public nature of the forum, in addition, it's standard practise on most forums with regards to banned members losing access hence the 'banned' status.
One would also assume that the banned members personal details are deleted.

Have you asked nicely for access to the info,
Yes, when I was banned I emailed Admin to delete my data, but as usual there was no response. I never thought that some perverted poster would go data-mining to that obsessive extent in an attempt to exploit my personal data, trying to intensify their abusive behaviour.

assuming you could prove that it's your old account that is?
You're repeating youself.

Thinking about it, how could you 'prove' that you have any claim over the closed/locked account, I'm not sure that you could.
You've already asked that question and I've already answered it.
This was your post, the second one of the thread. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I suspect that the minute you post any data on here you give up ownership of said data, I may be wrong but I suspect that to be the case, in addition, how could you prove that you were the original poster and that the data has any relevance to you whatsoever?
Will you be asking this question again?

Public Forums

Yes, when I was banned I emailed Admin to delete my data, but as usual there was no response. I never thought that some perverted poster would go data-mining to that obsessive extent in an attempt to exploit my personal data, trying to intensify their abusive behaviour.

I suspect that the minute you post any data on here you give up ownership of said data, I may be wrong but I suspect that to be the case, in addition, how could you prove that you were the original poster and that the data has any relevance to you whatsoever?

I'm trying to help, why have you got to be so obnoxious?

The data's not yours, get over it!

Public Forums

I'm trying to help, why have you got to be so obnoxious?

The data's not yours, get over it!
All of a sudden, because I queried how many times you will be asking the same question, and demonstrating that you've asked the same question more than once, you interpret that as me being obnoxious. :rolleyes:

Then you respond with a contradictory statement, such as,
"I'm trying to be helpful. It's not your data. Get over it."

Well you certainly went from helpful to obnoxious in a couple of short sentences yourself, for no apparent reason. :rolleyes:

It is still my personal details and I have no control over it.
DIYnot are retaining it for no purpose. Some posters have obtained it and tried to exploit that data for abuse.
That's unreasonable!

Jim,,,, Do you have a Facebook page, or other social media site page? If so, you'll know there's nothing private about the bloody internet. If it's not the NSA, it'll be GCHQ reading your emails. ;) ;) ;)

if you have made the mistake of disclosing personal information in some of your posts, try going to those posts and using the "Alert Moderators" button to request the deletion of the information from that post.

So you were previously banned from here?

And your back under a new name?

Hmm, methinks admin need to know this so they can ban you again, getting around a ban by re joining is a criminal offense subject to ritual humiliation and public flogging with soggy slippers :)

Have you first proven to diynot that you are the said banned person, and paid the £10 fee to request a copy of your data so that you can confirm what data needs deleting?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
I never thought that some perverted poster would go data-mining to that obsessive extent in an attempt to exploit my personal data

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

They're hiding under your bed.

BOO

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Fortunately, it's only the abusers who are lurking, as ever.
Waiting for their opportunity to be as abusive as they can be without reprisal. :LOL: :LOL:
Whatever floats your boat, I guess. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Still, while they are being abusive to me, they haven't the intellect to mulit-task, so they're leaving others alone. :D

if you have made the mistake of disclosing personal information in some of your posts, try going to those posts and using the "Alert Moderators" button to request the deletion of the information from that post.
Excellent advice , John. Thank you.

I will also consider bringing my concerns to the Information Commisioner's Office to see if my data has been handled properly.

My thanks to you for you helpful advice, and my thanks to cajar, et al, for highlighting the problem.

Perhaps it's also something for DIYnot to consider before anyone else's personal data is exploited by obsessive abusers.

So you were previously banned from here?

And your back under a new name?
Unlike many posters, I've never denied it. :D

Hmm, methinks admin need to know this so they can ban you again, getting around a ban by re joining is a criminal offense subject to ritual humiliation and public flogging with soggy slippers :)
Is this your fantasy? :LOL: :LOL:

Have you first proven to diynot that you are the said banned person, and paid the £10 fee to request a copy of your data so that you can confirm what data needs deleting?
Unnecessary. I am not requesting a copy of my data, merely a deletion of my data retained for no purpose by DIYnot, and which I know is outdated.
Silly boy. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back