Can you explain this?

Sponsored Links
"Sweden’s pandemic no longer stands out

The country has tougher restrictions in place than in France or Austria and new infections have plunged"

https://www.ft.com/content/7acfc5b8-d96f-455b-9f36-b70dc850428f

"Sweden is no longer the outlier it used to be on coronavirus. It no longer has the least restrictive approach to the pandemic in Europe and it has lost its briefly held status as the country with the highest number of deaths per capita after its number of Covid-19 cases decreased over the summer. Its economy has suffered less than the European average in recent months, but at least as much and possibly more than its Nordic neighbours.

“We get a second chance. We don’t want this to take off again. We now have the chance to learn and do additional things to avoid things taking off,” said Cecilia Soderberg-Nauclér, a critic of Sweden’s approach and a professor of cell and molecular immunology at Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm."

Their is no evidence to suggest 500k would be dead now if we had did nothing.
How ever many experts are saying lock down or no lock down the numbers will be the same.
Eventually.

Re: the 500k deaths, iirc it was a bit "back of fag packet".

- 70 million population
- presume C. 80% get infected i.e. 50 million-ish
- presume 1% death rate of those infected

500k.

Sponsored Links
Am sorry, Hitchens is a poisonous daily hate reporter. If you can give me a link to someone with some credit, science and isn't trying to sell papers, I'll take notice.

People like Hitchens and others eg. Gert Wilders have been vilified as hateful right-wingers. But if you allow yourself not to be swept along with the liberal masses and take a calm, rational look at what they're actually saying, you will find that most of it is very sensible. Sometimes what needs to be said is unpalatable for people who have been blinkered to the realities of the world we live in.

Last edited:
People like Hitchens and others eg. Gert Wilders have been vilified as hateful right-wingers. But if you allow yourself not to be swept along with the liberal masses and take a calm, rational look at what they're actually saying, you will find that most of it is very sensible. Sometimes what needs to be said is unpalatable for people who have been blinkered to the realities of the world we live in.
He works for the Daily mail. Perhaps if he worked for a different paper I'd have more time for him. Sorry.

He's not woke enough for any paper you might consider preferable.
Woke? Do behave!!

The DM is pure horridness. I know, I worked for em. It's throughout, from the top to the bottom and in the paper itself. Was very pleased I just did a short contract :) :)

He works for the Daily mail. Perhaps if he worked for a different paper I'd have more time for him. Sorry.

He's written for the Guardian and the New Statesman on many occasions.

...but Hitchens is not.

I like him, I bought one of his brothers books, 'God is a ****' or something like that which for some reason I haven't got around to reading, books are all over the shop at the moment until 'works' have finished.
Very clever pair of brothers, although Peter is the sharp one, I have a vague recollection they didn't get on.

Sponsored Links
Back