Can you tile using normal cement and sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to start tiling tomorrow and buying tile adhesive is to expensive for my family... Can I use normal cement and building sand to tile? or what alternative can I use?

Sponsored Links
tile adhesive - the clue's in the name!

oops just seen the date of your post - by now all the sand and cement will have dried and the tiles will have fallen off

My dad used to say the mortar used in bricklaying was to hold the bricks apart.
Won't stay stuck for long after it dries.

FWIW: for two and a half thousand years tile was fixed using sand and "cement". Into the nineteen fifties domestic bathrooms were tiled and grouted using a portland cement and sand mix - so were public swimming pools. Done properly it will last for a very long time. Typically, its the background that fails.

I was taught how to do it but its definitely a skill that has to be taught hands on - its not difficult to learn but one has to be shown how to get a feel for the proportions & timings.

AAMOI: the cementitious powder adhesives - the modern "Thin Sets" - are derived from the old methods.

Sponsored Links
FWIW: for two and a half thousand years tile was fixed using sand and "cement". Into the nineteen fifties domestic bathrooms were tiled and grouted using a portland cement and sand mix - so were public swimming pools. Done properly it will last for a very long time. Typically, its the background that fails.

I was taught how to do it but its definitely a skill that has to be taught hands on - its not difficult to learn but one has to be shown how to get a feel for the proportions & timings.

AAMOI: the cementitious powder adhesives - the modern "Thin Sets" - are derived from the old methods.

Very interesting bit of info there.

I'd fear cleaning the grout lines though the day after and before grouting :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back