Car is UNDERheating , temperature gauge reading stays very low, why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I’ve tried to answer the questions on brake fluid loss and low coolant temperature in all of the previous posts. I’ve nothing more to add, I’m afraid!
John :)

What's wrong please don't be sucked in by the trolls.
I appreciate all your help and you know that

Just reel back through the earlier posts Mark, and you’ll find I’ve stated all I know!
Just to recap though...just for you!
Re the overcooling - replace the thermostat
Re the fluid leak ( which is definitely there if you have to top up fluid)....check above the fuel tank.....the fluid could be pooling there.
Other more vague places are the master cylinder leaking onto the carpet above the pedals, into the servo itself, into the clutch area - which shares the same reservoir.
If the pedal goes to the floor then the leak is there somewhere, or a master cylinder fault itself.

Sponsored Links
Just reel back through the earlier posts Mark, and you’ll find I’ve stated all I know!
Just to recap though...just for you!
Re the overcooling - replace the thermostat
Re the fluid leak ( which is definitely there if you have to top up fluid)....check above the fuel tank.....the fluid could be pooling there.
Other more vague places are the master cylinder leaking onto the carpet above the pedals, into the servo itself, into the clutch area - which shares the same reservoir.
If the pedal goes to the floor then the leak is there somewhere, or a master cylinder fault itself.

Hi John, thanks.

So as I say the garage today out on the report the master cylinder and servo needed replacing, but there are no leaks do how can he say that ? He said the brake pipes looked ok

i know it's leaking, regardless of the pedal going to floor or not as the fluid level keeps dropping

The trouble is................replacing the master cylinder and servo would cost more than the car is worth.

Andy

Servo = link (under vacuum) between the inlet manifold and the brake fluid reservior... so potentially getting combusted rather than leaking?

As I said one garage said the brake line had a leak, 2 other garages said it didn't

Oh dear. Where do you suppose the brake fluid that you are so regularly having to top up is going? It doesn't usually just evaporate, so favourite culprit must be a leakage somewhere. Usual places in order of most likely...

1. A wheel cylinder
2. A brake pipe/flexible pipe
3. Master cylinder/servo unit

It isn’t common but if the master cylinder is leaking or not compressing the brake fluid as it should there are two possibilities.
1) the leak is into the inside of the car, above the pedals. The carpets will be wet.
2) the servo can fill up with brake fluid - usually you can see seepage at the join of the two halves of the servo.
On a petrol car, the servo vacuum is provided by the inlet manifold. On occasion the engine will gulp on brake fluid if the servo fills and there will be a blast of white smoke.
On a diesel car the vacuum is provided by a pump, mechanically driven as there is little vacuum in the inlet manifold. In this case, prising out the tube from the servo to the vacuum pump may show the prescence of brake fluid.
Either way, you need to find out where the fluid is going.

As I said one garage said the brake line had a leak, 2 other garages said it didn't

Try taking the car to a proper garage, rather than a tyre, battery and bicycle seller. Clue - a proper garage will employ qualified mechanics capable of diagnosing mechanical, electrical and hydraulic issues.

The trouble is................replacing the master cylinder and servo would cost more than the car is worth.

Andy
Bought the parts today, brake master cylinder and servo total cost £15. Stfu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back