Car Theft And Trackers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Round our way, cars have been targeted for a few years now, especially Audi, BMW and Merc.

Some brands are now fitting trackers in the factory, but I've just read two stories where 4 BMs with factory fitted trackers have been stolen, then pulled over close to the theft site and their trackers removed.

So what the hell is the point?

You pay extra for a FF tracker, but because the thieves know where the manufacturers put them, you still need to invest in an after market one??

Sponsored Links
About half a dozen fiesta st`s stolen in one night in our town found about 20 mile away

If a tracker can be fitted it can be removed.

I’d hate to be a Range Rover owner now. My mate bought one, went to get it insured before collecting it and the quote was 12k. He got his money back and bought an Audi.

Are FF trackers fitted in a consistent place?

Perhaps time they were made a part of the ECU..

Sponsored Links
If a tracker can be fitted it can be removed.

I’d hate to be a Range Rover owner now. My mate bought one, went to get it insured before collecting it and the quote was 12k. He got his money back and bought an Audi.
My wifes Range Rover Evoque, costs £456.00 per annum.

What age is your mate ??

9/10 if not more, the intelligent thief will always be one step ahead.

With flipper zero type devices it’s no wonder car theft is rife

His age, and where he lives would be good.
It’s not relevant. That’s the quote he got.

His Q7 or his S5 cost nothing like that amount. It’s not like he lives in Camborne

Some people im aware of use Ghost immobiliser which is a Canbus style immobiliser, effective against crooks who are able to clone car keys. This system even with the keyfob or a clone of it requires you to enter a specific sequence of 'button presses' before you can drive the car off. Eg gear up gear down and a maybe a few buttons on your multi function wheel.
As always though its the lowest hanging fruit. Keeping your car away from prying eyes in a secure alarmed garage, door sensors/pir sensors connected to your phone and alarm, plus a smoke canister activation in the garage if those layers are compromised, along with wheel clamp and maybe the mother in-law in the passenger seat.

Sponsored Links
Back