caravan certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi . could anybody tell me what the rules of certification are regarding caravans?
ive recently been asked by the council if i have an electrical cert for my caravan.i dont have one as i didnt realise you needed one if you dont rent it out to anybody else.
there are currently 3 caravans on our small site and none of us have certs.
any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
does my caravan need a gas cert too? its empty for most of the year,i only use it myself about 20 weekends a year.

Could be something like this: http://www.cito.org.uk/attachments/071_EWS Info Pack.pdf

Basically a PIR required every year.

The Caravan Club states re caravan hookups. But I think this is aimed at the site owner:

"Regular Inspection

Regular maintenance is essential to ensure the safety of any electrical installation but is
particularly important for caravan site installations which are especially liable to deterioration
during the winter or other periods of inclement weather. It is Club policy and CL owners’
responsibility to hold a current test certificate when offering electric hookups to visiting
members. The Club will require your confirmation that this has been or will be done before
granting/renewing your Certificate by your signing an undertaking, which will be binding so
long as you continue operating a CL. The Club may at its discretion additionally require you to
provide a copy of the certificate.
You are also advised to test the proper operation of each RCD at least monthly by means of its
test button. Your contractor can explain how this should be done."

Full document at http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/876609/electrichookupinformationjuly09.pdf

Sponsored Links
is is a static caravan, a tourer or a 'park home'?

is it on a 16A hook up (blue plug) or has it got a 'hardwired' supply??

Reading the 17th Edition only boats escape the need for a regular periodic inspection report and there has been some talk around this area as to labels used in caravans and if the are not in Welsh or Bi-lingual should it fail.
See 721.537.2.1.1.1
Your lucky being in England.
I have seen site owners ask for the report but it is rare and normally you find something has gone wrong in the past like a caravan fire or he has a problem with supply and would like to have a few vans not connected.
However it was only in 2008 that the regulations really started to include caravans and some items like used of flexible cable and distance between clips and sorry to say many caravans were wired in twin and earth so now fail the PIR.
Some of the requirements for example "A721.55.3.2 Capacity
An auxiliary battery should have a minimum capacity of 40 Ah at 20 h discharge rate." seem daft as the need for a battery in first place is not a requirement and so where a smaller battery is used all one needs to do is take it out when testing.

Section 721 do not apply to the electrical installations of mobile homes, residential park homes and transportable units. This means that many of the Hobby caravans don't come under the new regulations as they are too wide to be officially towed on British roads and it is conforming to road traffic act which makes section 721 apply.

With such odd rules I would not want to do the odd PIR on caravans and unless there were a lot to do I would not want to have to buy the battery tested etc.

to 1john

its a static,fed with a 2.5mm 3 core swa underground from an indoor supply in a pub.in the pub its protected by a 16a mcb,on the caravan end it has a blue commando skt.
the caravan just has a blue plug feeding the db inside.on a flexible cable.

Caravan width limitation for towing is just about to be increased, this month I think.
Oh that will mess things up. Many caravans will now fail PIR tests as wired in twin and earth.

The supply and caravan MUST be protected with an RCD so there are two RCD's one either end of blue lead. Also will need 16A MCB as well the problem is RCD must switch all live wires i.e. Line and Neutral so twin pole is required. A box with a twin pole RCBO B16 is norm supply end.

If the SWA went into the caravan then it would be different and the caravan would be under same rules as house. But as you describe the caravan could be unplugged and the socket used for lawn mower so it needs RCD protection.

Although it is "Static" it depends on if it can be towed and be compliant with road traffic act and not the way it is used. If it does not comply with RTA then you get other problems like planning permission as it is then classed as a building even though temporary.

If all wired in flex then no real problem for tester it is where twin and earth have been used that it becomes a problem and the tester has to decide if a building or caravan and on that if compliant or not.

Insurance would need to be for professional indemnity the normal public liability would not really cover and as a result you may find it hard to get some one willing to sign the certificates.

Without seeing the set-up it is really impossible to say which set of rules would apply. The fact the council are asking for them I would assume they are classing you as static as with a touring van can't really see what it has to do with them!

In which case it would be like any house once every 10 years or change of owner. You would then also come under Part P in England and Wales and could have a TN-C-S supply.

If classed as a caravan then a TN-C-S supply would break the laws and since a TN-S supply can't be verified it would need a TT supply and earth rods. It would be unusual for a PUB to have a TT supply so again tester would need to be very careful.

It is very unlikely that the set-up you have detailed will pass all points with a PIR but a PIR does not fail as such but highlights the faults with a number system 1 to 4 where 1 means dangerous should be switched off and 4 means not technicality correct to latest regulations but no real danger.

Very few premises will get clean bill of health and so to have faults is normal and not a fail which then leaves it to you to decide what if anything needs correcting.

The only illegal item would be supply and if it is a TN-C-S (PME) supply then that would break the law. This could be a problem as we then start to look at voltage gradient and if there is enough distance between the TN-C-S supply and TT supply to be safe. i.e. no one can touch something earthed from both supplies at the same time.

Hence it needs some one on site to work it all out a forum is not really the place.

They need a special PIR doing, I did a course on it last year, takes about half an hour to complete the tests.
Also need gas service certs.
If you take it in to your local dealers they are now required to offer this service, but there are also engineers that will go mobile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back