Carpal Tunnel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone here suffer from carpal tunnel? Or had the operation? If so how did it go and did it help?

I've had it for years, and it comes and goes depending on the job I've been doing at work. Any sort of hammering or even climbing vertical tower ladders really triggers mine. I struggle to hold a trowel some days as my hand goes cold and numb. Also waking up in the middle of the night with pain in the wrists.

Going for a test at the hospital soon to get it diagnosed. Hope the waiting list for the op isn't too long.

Sponsored Links
I have just had an operation on my funny bone nerve. They moved it from the crook of my right elbow to my inner forearm. Not brilliant but better than the numbness (right hand little finger and his mate) previously.

I have just had an operation on my funny bone nerve. They moved it from the crook of my right elbow to my inner forearm. Not brilliant but better than the numbness (right hand little finger and his mate) previously.
It's amazing what they can do. That is funny though as those fingers are not really affected by carpal tunnel. It only affects half of the finger that is neighbouring the pinky

It's amazing what they can do. That is funny though as those fingers are not really affected by carpal tunnel. It only affects half of the finger that is neighbouring the pinky
I thought it was carpel tunnel - wrong. Anyhoo, it was my first ever operation and it was a boon. I opted for a local (the thought of feeling nauseous swayed me) so I was awake the whole time. I have not felt that relaxed, comfy and warm for decades.

Sponsored Links
That's good to hear, If they decide to operate on me that will also be my first ever op. Quite looking forward to the time off work resting it. I know a guy that had the carpal tunnel op and went straight back to work without resting it. This caused the operation to fail, and he is back in the same boat.

I have just had an operation on my funny bone nerve.

Let's hope it improves your sense of humour.(y)

It's difficult in our trade, there's not a day goes by when I'm not complaining about arthritis in the knees, tennis elbow, loss of muscle strength, a bit of heart trouble, sometimes, not very often, it can get me down and I think; why me?

That's when I say to meself 'shut up you daft old ****', yer 65 and only had a handful of days off sick in your whole life, there's children out there who won't live to see their teens, that puts it all back into perspective.

Wife has had both wrists done years ago. Enjoys knitting and has been knitting ever since the ops. Had to stop before as she couldn't manage but now she sits knitting most nights. Daughter is a hairdresser and has had one done and is back working without problems.

Let's hope it improves your sense of humour.(y)

It's difficult in our trade, there's not a day goes by when I'm not complaining about arthritis in the knees, tennis elbow, loss of muscle strength, a bit of heart trouble, sometimes, not very often, it can get me down and I think; why me?

That's when I say to meself 'shut up you daft old ****', yer 65 and only had a handful of days off sick in your whole life, there's children out there who won't live to see their teens, that puts it all back into perspective.

I'm only 29 and this carpal tunnel is horrible. I feel silly bringing it up at work as I work with mostly older guys 60s and they all have problems themselves such as the tennis elbow. Just think they are thinking i'm just a wimp or attention seeking bringing it up. Even just typing this my fingers are going cold and numb.

Wife has had both wrists done years ago. Enjoys knitting and has been knitting ever since the ops. Had to stop before as she couldn't manage but now she sits knitting most nights. Daughter is a hairdresser and has had one done and is back working without problems.
Can imagine how horrible it is doing them two things with numb hands. I find it easier when I'm gripping big things like drills but holding a pencil, trowel, or anything small I struggle. So I know knitting needles would be hell.

Ten years ago I considered all the youngsters sporting 'kneepads' in their trousers to be 'nancies', wish I'd started wearing them years ago.

Ten years ago I considered all the youngsters sporting 'kneepads' in their trousers to be 'nancies', wish I'd started wearing them years ago.

I do try to use my ppe as much as I can, but there are times when I forget or just lazyness. Ear defenders are a must for me, I can't stand coming home after angle grinding roof tiles with my ears ringing and a banging headache.

Never used ear defenders till about five years ago when I got tinnitus, that's another ailment worth avoiding if you can.

Sponsored Links
Back