Anaphylactic Shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just back from hospital, and have had my ICP bolt done.

Prior to that op., I went for a Short Synacthen test (where you are injected with Tetracosactide to stimulate your pituitary into producing hormones).

The nurse was just about to stick me with this when I asked if there were any side-effects. About 1/1000 suffer anaphylactic shock, she said.

Well, I was that 1/1000...

My BP plummeted to 40/25, and I collapsed. A crash team of 11 came to inject me with adrenaline & hydrocortisone, to name but two, and it took a couple of hours before I was feeling myself again.

As soon as the needle went in, I could feel this cold liquid, then I felt absolutely dreadful. I knew something was dreadfully wrong, but was powerless to do or say anything.

My stomach felt awful (this is the blood rushing away from the gut in a vain attempt to boost BP back up again), and my head the same - dizzy like nothing else I've experienced.

And then I collapsed. I had a vague feeling (even though I was told I was unconcious at this time) that something was dreadfully wrong, and thought that I was going to die (a well-documented "feeling of doom"), but at the same time, there was no panic at all.

I know this is a bit morbid, but has anyone else suffered the same?

Needless to say, Tetracosactide is now at the top of my notes: DO NOT ADMINISTER!

But strangely, I had to instigate this: the hospital told no-one else what had happened and did not mark my notes to avoid this drug...

Sponsored Links
Similar.

I had a big op a few years ago and something went a little awry and I bled rather a lot (I had 15 litres of blood). Anyway, they gave me a blood thickening agent - which sent me into anaphalactic shock.

i knew nothing about all this until I woke up in post op and at least a dozen surgeons and medics were in a semi circle at the bottom of my bed. I knew something was wrong but didn't know what. My arms and legs seemed to work so I was happy about that and then I went back unconcious and woke up in intensive care. I was all blotchy for a day or two but I survived (just). Same as you I had adrenalin/noradrenalin.

Simon, you say the needle went in and you felt a cold liquid going in, that sounds like general anaesthetic to me. Then you feel dreadful for a couple of secs, then you start talkin about your last holiday, then you go to sleep. Thats how it was for me, anyway! :LOL:

Sorry if this sounds stupid, or if its a bit personal, you dont have to answer it, whats an ICP bolt? Sounds painful.

No, it wasn't a general!!

The op I had was the one I talked about here before I went in.

It's an Intra-Cranial Pressure Bolt.

Basically it goes like this:

Under a local, I had my scalp cut back, and a 3mm hole drilled through the cranium. Then the dura (tough membrane between bone & brain) was punctured, and a SS bolt screwed in, containing a probe which is inserted into the brain tissue.

It was done to measure the pressure inside the skull, to see if it was responsible for my diplopia (double vision).

I have kept the bits as a souvenir, and shall post a piccy if possible!

Sponsored Links
not for the faint hearted eh? :oops:

so is this thing visible? local anaesthetic is probably the wierdest thing ever. i've never had to have it yet. I mean, someone's poking around inside your brain, and your there, awake, knowing exactly what's going on. :eek: i'd probably throw up. did they have to cut all your hair off?

why not a general anasethetic? surely its much more pleasant? Or are brain ops all done under local so they can monitor you?

Very fuzzy: I can't find Macro fn. on Mrs Secure's camera, but here it is:

The threaded part of the bolt is 9mm long, not all of that is screwed into the bone. The diameter is around 3.5-4mm. The long thin thing is the probe. That is threaded through the centre of the bolt and the dark portion(around 5mm) is inserted into the brain tissue. To avoid damaging the brain, they use the front lobes which are not much used!!

IMAG0022.jpg

securespark said:
No, it wasn't a general!!

The op I had was the one I talked about here before I went in.

It's an Intra-Cranial Pressure Bolt.

Basically it goes like this:

Under a local, I had my scalp cut back, and a 3mm hole drilled through the cranium. Then the dura (tough membrane between bone & brain) was punctured, and a SS bolt screwed in, containing a probe which is inserted into the brain tissue.

It was done to measure the pressure inside the skull, to see if it was responsible for my diplopia (double vision).

I have kept the bits as a souvenir, and shall post a piccy if possible!

HO Dear, Ho Dear, Surepark its sounds to me your not long for this world.
have you got high blood pressure has this can cause double vision,
and also the silent killer stoke,

you could have the signs of a mini stroke where small arteries are thining going to your brain, do you feel light headed a lot and feel dizzy now and again with balance problems.

No. My BP was monitored every 30 minutes during my stay in hospital.

During my crash, I had an ECG, that was fine. I am not diabetic, and AFAICT, my hormone production is near normal.

I have never suffered a Trans-Ischaemic Attack (your so-called mini-stroke). I do not feel light-headed nor dizzy, but do have balance problems.

However, this is associated with my poor hearing from prematurity (3 months), as is, for that matter, my Hydracephalus.

Any other ideas I can pour water on? :LOL:

Crafty

It was visible. They kept it in for 48 hours, then took it out again.

I was offered a local. A general was never mentioned. Much more complicated brain surgery is done under local too, not just so that the patient can be monitored, but that is the case sometimes.

It was a bit bizarre.

The worst bit was the needle in the scalp for the local. Then all I could feel was what was happening, not the pain. I felt the scalpel cut the scalp, and the skin parting. I felt and heard (as the skull transmits the noise) the hand drill (rather like an old-fashioned brace). Every rotation it squeaked, and we joked about needing a sharper bit or getting a Makita instead!

Then the dura was punctured. That was strange. It sounded like the pop when you break the seal on a coffe jar, but much lounder, and felt like poking a sharpened pencil through a stretched sheet of thick rubber...

The rest I could not feel, as the brain has no nerve endings itself. That meant I did not feel the probe being inserted.

And that was it! Easy, really!

And I didn't feel sick, but dearly wished I could see it on a monitor.

That kind of procedure intrigues me!

securespark said:
Crafty

It was visible. They kept it in for 48 hours, then took it out again.

I was offered a local. A general was never mentioned. Much more complicated brain surgery is done under local too, not just so that the patient can be monitored, but that is the case sometimes.

It was a bit bizarre.

The worst bit was the needle in the scalp for the local. Then all I could feel was what was happening, not the pain. I felt the scalpel cut the scalp, and the skin parting. I felt and heard (as the skull transmits the noise) the hand drill (rather like an old-fashioned brace). Every rotation it squeaked, and we joked about needing a sharper bit or getting a Makita instead!

Then the dura was punctured. That was strange. It sounded like the pop when you break the seal on a coffe jar, but much lounder, and felt like poking a sharpened pencil through a stretched sheet of thick rubber...

The rest I could not feel, as the brain has no nerve endings itself. That meant I did not feel the probe being inserted.

And that was it! Easy, really!

And I didn't feel sick, but dearly wished I could see it on a monitor.

That kind of procedure intrigues me!

sorry for the reply sure i missed the boat on the threads about your health, so can you sit back and tell me all about it.

securespark

Flipping Lightweight, try necking speedballs with Bez an Sean an Keeping skunk on the show ,

NOT THEN ,THIS NEW CRACK DRUG ...!!!!!worse time ...

drug stories are ok with guys who dabbled but the rest couldnt care less ....T££T...
I never shot up with drugs , but I am shameful every time a buddy found that vein , being a drunken pathetic wretch at the time I died with them slowly .......personally my medic sheets say I was dead 3 times ,but boosters got me up again ,
CLASSIC LINE

Nurse , thats it , his gone ,
Doc, AGAIN IN HIS HEART ,
my words were
TAXI ,Hacienda, please ...
I ended up at Preston Royal , as I was mental due too the drains in my head ...f**kin not right mixing pill poppin ...

BOB.DOLE said:
securespark said:
There isn't much more to tell mate!

was you in a car crash, are is this a long illness you have?

No mate, it's long-term.

Hydracephalus is common in prem babies, and I was 3 months prem.

This ICP bolt was just put in to measure the pressure to see if raised pressure was the reason for my double vision. It is not, so we are back to square 1.

Trouble is, if the nerve is under trauma for too long it will die, leaving me with permanent double vision, so there is a race against the clock.

Problem there is that they won't give me an appointment to further investigations for another 6 weeks.

Let's just say I have sent lots of letters off to various hospital departments to try and reduce the waiting time...

Sponsored Links
Back