temporary traffic lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now have to endure 2 sets of these on my way to work. one of them crosses a road junction. The roadworks are taking place along the major road, opposite where a minor road joins. There are therefore 3 traffic light heads, each one taking turns to be green.

The other day, i was on the major road waiting patiently (a first for me), when a car emerged from the minor road IN FRONT OF A POLICE VAN, and the police van did nothing!

At the time he emerged, his light must have been on red, because the light for my side had just turned green (police van at front of queue), and there is a significant delay (5-10 secs) between the changes. Are these traffic lights, powered by those chug-chug gas generators, legally restrictive? Do they have the same legal standing as permenant lights? Or was the police officer feeling generous in deciding not to stop this guy? Anywhere else running a red, you'd have the book thrown at you! :eek:

Sponsored Links
In our area running red lights is more and more common. Most mornings the lights on my side will be green but you often get 3-6 cars travelling at 40 plus crossing the junction.

Same old story, police rely on cameras, therefore less police on the roads to enfore the RTA, standards of driving drop. :confused:

AFAIK, you have to stop.

few month ago they had temporary lights on a main road. all that was there during day was a van that couldnt be arsed parking on the 3M of grass offroad (work bein done was off road). over night, it was just the light trailer in the road. lights were totally un-necessary.

I seem to remember that they don't come under the same rules as permerment lights

Sponsored Links
splinter said:
I seem to remember that they don't come under the same rules as permerment lights

Yes they do.

But not as much fun as that bloke who had a stop / go board, except his said stop on both sides

yes they do providing they are properly signposted, and there is a time limit on the number of days they can be in place

guy i work with told me temp lights if nothing coming the other way just pull through. i do it all the time, not sure i would if a police van behind me tho. i cant see whats wrong with doing it if nothing coming

highway code said:
90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users
Crafty's addition: You may, however, flash your high-beam headlights in order to force traffic lights to change. :p

highway code said:
92: The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn

while stationary on the road
Tell this to my neighbours who feel the need to blow their horn at fellow members of their household as they depart in their cars for the corner shop. :evil: :evil: :evil:

crafty1289 said:
Tell this to my neighbours who feel the need to blow their horn at fellow members of their household as they depart in their cars for the corner shop. :evil: :evil: :evil:

You're oly jealous because it's not YOUR shop they're going to.... :LOL:

securespark said:
crafty1289 said:

You're oly jealous because it's not YOUR shop they're going to.... :LOL:

probably because they can buy fags and fireworks with milk tokens at the other shop :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back