Traffic Lights.

Studders said:
I think we should bring back the red flag but allow the holder to run. That way the faster runner you can afford the faster you can drive. :LOL:

:LOL: even Linford Christie would be no good for the M1

Sponsored Links
Studders wrote:
I think we should bring back the red flag but allow the holder to run. That way the faster runner you can afford the faster you can drive.

even Linford Christie would be no good for the M1
But my mother could earn some pin money on the M25

Speed cameras do flash if you are going in the wrong direction, a few years ago I was overtaking & the camera on the off side flashed me as I was approaching, I never received a ticket,(might still be lost in the N London postal sytem).

I had a similar experience going from a 30 into a 40 zone, accelerated and the camera on the other side of the road got me. Never heard anything though - they probably can't handle negative speeds.

BTW if you're coming out of Portsmouth look out for the cameras that face you. They don't flash and get you get caught going towards them There is an anecdote that one of them took a picture of a motorcyclist doing a wheelie at some ungodly speed but of course a bike doesn't have a front number plate!

Sponsored Links
On the subject of speed cameras, I was thinking it would be a jolly jape to set up a small platform in front of one, pose for a nice portrait shot holding on to your number plate, then the first speeding motorist comming past will trigger the camera.

Once the picture comes through the post, you could cut out the relevant portion and use it on your passport application. I can't believe they would take you to court. Can you imagine, "You have been photographed sitting perfectly still in a rather becoming sweater at 62mph in a 30mph speed limit zone"

BTW
I have heard of a rather sneeky way around speed cameras. Photographers use these things called slave flash units. They are flash guns that are triggered by the flash of an other flash in the vacinity. All you need do is mount one of these beside your number plate. As the speed camera flashes, your slave flash goes off at the same time. This causes the area around the number plate to be overexposed and unreadable.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
kendor said:
Can't comment about america but over here there are detectors mounted on top of the traffic lights( rectangular grey boxes with black fronts) to detect the presence of a car

Kendor,

take a closer look at the picture....

:rolleyes:

:D :D
what the eyes in the traffic lights?
Wish you'd read my posts properly breezer

breezer said:
the boxes you refer to are microwave detectors, not all traffic lights have them, most use inductive loop
At last, you understand!

TexMex said:
BTW
I have heard of a rather sneeky way around speed cameras. Photographers use these things called slave flash units. They are flash guns that are triggered by the flash of an other flash in the vacinity. All you need do is mount one of these beside your number plate. As the speed camera flashes, your slave flash goes off at the same time. This causes the area around the number plate to be overexposed and unreadable.

Would be interesting to try, however I fear it would not work. I am thinking that the film in a gatso must have a very fast exposure on it, otherwise number plates would be too blurred to read. So, by the time your slave flash has gone off the film might be exposed anyway. Saying that, slave flashes definitely work at 800ISO film. Does anyone know what the ISO number of Gatso film is? :D

Perhaps instead you could put a sepia filter, complete with some nicks and scratches over the lens and drive past in a vintage car, speeding. Could you imagine them trying to offer what looks like a 90 year old photograph as evidence of speeding?

Or you could glue one of those "This picture has been overexposed" labels from the chemists face-first onto the lens. Unfortunately it wouldn't be in focus :cry:

Has anyone ever tried the excuse "I sped up and drove extra fast past the Gatso, because radar is a health hazard at close range, and I was minimising my exposure"?

I am sure there are probably some European Human Rights laws that allow you to avoid exposure to damaging effects by any reasonable means. Stopping and turning round on a motorway isn't an option, so speeding past or using the hard shoulder are the only alternatives!

some clever chappy used some of that security etching fluid that they use to put your number plate on your windows on the lens of a gatso ....worked a treat!

kendor said:
breezer said:
the boxes you refer to are microwave detectors, not all traffic lights have them, most use inductive loop
At last, you understand!

no i don't

i have said all along that most have an inductive loop, i also say that iductive loops are there to detect any vehicle, not the services, which is what you said they were for

Gatso's can take photos of oncoming traffic too, but police don't use them this way (or at least last time I spoke to GMP they didn't) If in doubt look for white lines on road, if there are none, you're OK.

Maybe you missed Top Gear and their test to see how fast you had to go past a Gatso so that by the time the second photo had been taken you were out of the picture?

90, 120, 150? No.

171mph. And it did not register at all!!!

However, they are only calibrated to 155mph. So, if they try to do you for more than that ask to see the calibration certificate.

OK, so they will still take your licence, rip it up into small bits and jump up and down on the pieces, but it is a matter of principle! :D

In fact, a chap on a motorbike was taken to court for an estimated speed of 180mph on the motorway. He produced the handbook which quoted the top speed as somewhere round the 150mph mark, and his fine was reduced accordingly.

I am not sure if they checked for modifications on the bike or not, but as many people will testify a car will often go quicker than it's quoted top speed in the right conditions on the right day. E.g. my car has a quoted maximum of 112mph, but APPARENTLY, someone who looks like me drove one that was identical to mine at 120mph, on a completely empty, straight and level road, this speed coming from a GPS which is accurate to 0.1mph, and it was still climbing albeit slowly. The speedo dial APPARENTLY read more like 128mph... :rolleyes:

Mate of mine bought on of these 'ere boy racer things a few years back (I might remember the make in a minute). Try as he might he couldn't get it to do the top speed as stated in the manual. He had the BHP checked and everything. After much discussion with the dealer it transpired that the wheel size was slightly different between what he had been given and the model used for deriving the makers spec. It took ages to work it out. I don't know if it was ever worth the effort but he was determined to get to the bottom of it!

Sponsored Links
Back