Carry On Camping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a tent ideally 4 berth, any recommendations?

Had a big up for the Hi-gear Rock 5, input appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The wettest possible to pyss the missus off!
Joking apart, I don't intend to do any extreme camping in the Arctic, hopefully fine but the odd fall of rain and blowing of wind would hopefully be tolerated by tent, whilst I was in the nearest emporium of ale.

I'm prepared to camp 2 weeks wiv' Immy when he buys his fishing gear. Buy a generator. Can be a god send at times.

Sponsored Links
How many is the tent for?

Reason I ask is the best piece of advice I got is take the number of people you want to put in the tent then double it and buy a tent that houses that number, ie you want to house 3 people, buy a 6 berth tent.

What's your budget?

If you can afford it, the Vango Airbeam inflatables are incredible. Pump up in 5 minutes.
Wind tested to 70 mph. Should be OK after the campfire Chilli Con Carne.... No more arguments with your partner! More time to sit back supping beer/ fishing/ whatever you wanna do!

You may feel the carpet is an unnecessary luxury, but certainly the footprint is worthwhile. Extra protection for the tent groundsheet against rough ground.

Also, check for tent pegs before you pitch. They can puncture the groundsheet.

We got a porch for our Hi Gear Zenobia. The Canopy for the Rock 5 might be worth getting as our porch was a godsend for dumping all wet gear and boots in and we cooked in there as well. Excellent!

The tent is for two and a stash of beers for me and a Glass of White Wine for the Lady.
Budget at moment don't want to spend a great deal as I don't think the lady will be able to ack it!

Seriously, though, consider what kit you are taking, and how much room you need to store it.

Also, whether you are having a hook up (using mains power on site). If you are, does the tent have a let-through for the lead?

I fancy a go at Decathlon's pop up range. I've been away with my son in the 2 man version and it was fine, plus a cinch to pitch and pack away.

Seriously, though, consider what kit you are taking, and how much room you need to store it.
I like to travel light, intend to take the push iron with me though, hopefully the shoe collection will stay at home.
Also, whether you are having a hook up (using mains power on site). If you are, does the tent have a let-through for the lead?
I will make a note of that, I have seen the rock 5 with discount card for £120, I have a friend that recommended this tent to me, I don't want to be spending a too much out until I am sure the lady can camp, but don't want no shyte either.

look on things like friday ad ,gum tree or any other free ad sites etc.people are always trying to off load there things that look good for a short while.

It's a shame you live on the other side of the water. We have a tent, in good condition, that we don't use any more.

If you can afford it, the Vango Airbeam inflatables are incredible. Pump up in 5 minutes.
Wind tested to 70 mph. Should be OK after the campfire Chilli Con Carne.... No more arguments with your partner! More time to sit back supping beer/ fishing/ whatever you wanna do!
We have this tent and it does what it says on the tin.

It means the missus and the kids can go set the tent up.......without me!
(Ahem)...only kidding, but she will go off in my van whilst I'm playing golf and get everything set up in time for me to rock up later with the curry and chilled alcohol.

Bless.

It's a shame you live on the other side of the water. We have a tent, in good condition, that we don't use any more.
I wouldn't say it was a shame but I actual spend the majority of my time on the main land working and have family in West Yorkshire.

Sponsored Links
Back