Cashless society ( pros and cons)

yep people going out with no money in the bank thinking there wages have gone in on a friday (but havent) 3 contactless payments a day over weekend and 9 overdraft charges waiting for them which they might not know about till next statement
That is another problem.
The major one is people spending beyond their means because they have a magic plastic card that allows them to.
I know many young people in their 30s with a £50k+ job who struggle to save money for a house deposit.
Some of them in a relationship with a combined income of £100k+.
They keep on spending by card and don't realise how much money they waste on things they would never buy if they had to part with banknotes.

Sponsored Links
So these people haven't got a phone? It's not like the old days where you have to go to a cash machine or the bank to see how much money you have. Ignorance is harder now.
oh deary deary me people think because they use something everyone else does believe it or not millions dont do internet banking and and some still use old tech phones

There are vulnerable people in society who struggle with cashless systems. Cash is far easier for them to use, espeically for day to day transactions.

From a covid point of view, it was a joke. My debit card soon stopped doing contactless, so had to use the keypad.

If your a good decent human being with nothing to hide then you will have nout to worry about.
Ah, the old 'nothing to hide' argument...

I guess you wish to have no form of privacy whatsoever?

Sponsored Links
oh deary deary me people think because they use something everyone else does believe it or not millions dont do internet banking and and some still use old tech phones
And those people who are so averse to the modern world also happen to not use cash.

The people you accuse of being frivolous with money, do.(y)

How many more people end up in debt /overdrawn because of the cashless society

Much easier to keep track of your spend, using a card - every penny you spend is recorded in your statement. Every penny I spend, I instantly get a text message to say how much and where I spent it.

If you lose your contactless card, anyone who finds it can go on a spree with your money until you report it's loss to the bank.

I don't actually use cards, I use my phone - no cards to be lost/stolen and the phone can only be used by me and my thumb.

The major one is people spending beyond their means because they have a magic plastic card that allows them to.

Don't blame the card. If people are stupid enough to spend beyond their means then so be it.

I have to admit I hardly use cash these days. Whilst I've never been an early adopter of new technology, over the past few years I've gradually shifted to using my cards more, subconsciously if you like. I do however keep circa £40 in my wallet just in case cash is required. Mind you that wouldn't help for purchases in excess of. I'm now getting to the stage where the thought of handing over cash and getting change seems like a bit of a hassle. Stupid I know!

I suspect, whether we like it or not, the transition to cashless will continue. When I think of my young nieces reaching my age, I doubt cash will even be a thing.

I do agree though, as with anything 'online', if it goes down then ...

yep people going out with no money in the bank thinking there wages have gone in on a friday (but havent) 3 contactless payments a day over weekend and 9 overdraft charges waiting for them which they might not know about till next statement

So they can't simply check if their wages have gone in? And that is someone else's fault? Good grief.

I doubt the numbers not using the Internet is as prevalent as you suggest. I personally am not aware of any one like that, though I am aware some people prefer to use a low tech phone, only able to make calls, because one charge can last a week or more. I was one of those late adopters, preferring a basic phone, but I changed my mind once I tried a Smart one.

When it became possible to use a phone for card payments, it then became indispensable.

To a large extent, that's what our economy relies on these days. Plus you get nothing for your savings, encouraging you to spend those too. That's the UK economy, live for today, spend what you've got then some more that you haven't. And when you're totally borassic, try to get some back on the lotto or online gambling. Says a lot about this country and society today.

Sponsored Links
Back