Cashless society?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Talking with some friends recently we spoke about the money troubles the world is having and then as conversations due changed subject to television and other subjects. Regarding the tv we brought up "The Good Life" and in that programme they didn't have much money but bartered their produce for things or services they could make themselves.
I've done small jobs for barter but wondered if other people on here would consider working or have worked for something other than cash?

Sponsored Links
My elderly neighbour now a widow who a kid during WW2 was telling me how they used to grow all their veg as food was in short supply and she still does it to this day with her garden sectioned off into plots for potatoes,carrots,onions ect ect and she alaways gives them to myself and the other neighbours ... me and other neighbours do all her odd jobs so I suppose its working for her now

I dont think it would work for everything. If you wanted a new car, what would you barter with to get it? or a new house......the most expensive things can only be bartered for with stuff that is equally as valuable. Seeing as though houses and cars are our most expensive belongings i fail to see what else we could use as a bargaining tool.

Sponsored Links
i fail to see what else we could use as a bargaining tool.

249082.jpg

I find most folks don't have much to offer, I lived in a housing Co-op quite a few years ago ,We refurbed 4 terraced houses for ourselves but very few of the membership had much to offer Its amazing how busy folks are when there is a skip to fill

The way Cameron and his cronies are carrying on, a cashless society, ain't far away. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

People can't do things anymore, its not cool to grow stuff or keep chucks and pigs or go hunting fishing or build stuff and fix things all lost skills ,I guess if I came to aye lad's aye a lot would perish

What's wrong with doing a good turn, for its own sake ?

Nothing , and I do, but the thing I'm talking about is working for reward (as in a job) and getting paid not in pound notes but maybe in tins of beans or leather jackets or anything.

I dont think it would work for everything. If you wanted a new car, what would you barter with to get it? or a new house......the most expensive things can only be bartered for with stuff that is equally as valuable. Seeing as though houses and cars are our most expensive belongings i fail to see what else we could use as a bargaining tool.

Granted it does work better for smaller transactions although I read of international companies bartering for goods rather than cash in the past. For something like a car maybe something like 4-6 months work ?
Biggest problem I could forsee would be the tax implications. Could I pay my tax in tins of beans?

People can't do things anymore,

That's very true. When my dad was a kid, he said all the kids dad's in his school could make things (most of them engineers or joiners etc).
Now few people can do even simple things such as basic metalwork or woodwork.
(I didn't have a dummy when I was a baby, I had taps and dies :D ).

When I came out of school I could do metal work and wood work in metal work we learnt to turn ,do scroll work in the forge ,rivet and use taps and dyes in wood work we learnt all basic joints to a high standard wood carving and turneryand furniture design, so you were ready to tackle owt but all that is out of fasion now ,what a shame.

People can't do things anymore,

That's very true. When my dad was a kid, he said all the kids dad's in his school could make things (most of them engineers or joiners etc).
Now few people can do even simple things such as basic metalwork or woodwork.
(I didn't have a dummy when I was a baby, I had taps and dies :D ).

That can't have been good for your teeth. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back