CCTV night vision distance and optimising lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any rules of thumb about night vision cameras and how far they are really effective, as opposed to what is claimed in the sales blurb?

I'm about to replace an old camera I have. I need it to work 20-25M in pitch black as our wonderful council switch the street lights off in the dead of night to save money, and the street lights normally add enough light to my property.

But I also need it to be smart enough to back it's IR off a bit when the street lights are on so it doesn't white out things that are near.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
some cameras IR is filtered out so you don't get the apparent bounce back.

like advised to be safe half the values quoted allows for non optimal conditions

Thanks for the advice guys. What I'm after then is a good quality/brand grey coloured HD-TVI 1080P bullet camera with 2.8-12mm manual zoom to mount to the soffit board (i.e ceiling mount), and by the sounds at least 40M night vision. I have a couple of Twilight Pro HD-TVI dome cams covering other areas of the property which are pretty good but have only 30M IR. Have a couple of Hikvision cameras which are pretty good too - but they don't seem to do many cameras in grey. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That looks ideal actually. I could get to the OSD menu on my Twilight Pro cameras without any difficulty - but I'd not worked it out with my Hikvision ones, until a few minutes ago! So should be OK with the motorised zoom/focus on this. Problem solved hopefully. Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back