Ceiling Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have ceiling downlights with following specification,
Cut out: 60mm
Bezel: 70mm

These are all MR16 lights which I want to replace with Gu10. On doing research I have found out there is too much variation in Cut out size for light fittings. I don't want to alter current holes just want new gu10 fittings.
Now my question is Can i fit 65mm or 70mm downlight in that hole.

I know its a silly question but I don't have these lights to test it out myself.

Regards

Sponsored Links
It's easy to make the holes bigger - just get new lights which are either the same or larger size, and cut the holes larger if required.

It's easy to make the holes bigger - just get new lights which are either the same or larger size, and cut the holes larger if required.
thanks for reply, do you know an easy way to cut the holes larger. The videos i saw on youtube requires some power tools to do that.

The videos i saw on youtube requires some power tools to do that.

I would never use power tools, they just create a lot of uneccessary dust. Just use a hand held padsaw, complete control and minmal mess.

Sponsored Links
These are all MR16 lights which I want to replace with Gu10.
FYI, MR16 refers to the size of the bulb envelope (MR means Multifaceted Reflector, 16 is the diameter in ⅛ths of an inch, i.e. 2"), and GU10 is the type of base. Most GU10 bulbs are MR16.

Ignore any tw@s who pop up trying to tell you that any of that really matters here, or that if you are using LED bulbs they aren't really MR, etc.

Presumably you've got too many holes to want to fill some in, and use a smaller number of larger lights?

thanks mate, I am looking for the same brand but not integrated. I am thinking to buy aurora lights and aurora cans separately. Do you know which ones are better. I am looking for 2 bedrooms, bathroom.
Can we change bulbs in integrated ones.

You cannot change lamps in integrated fittings but a fitting with a GU10 lamp holder will almost certainly be bigger than 60mm, they just are. Of the hundreds of Enlite E8s I’ve fitted I don’t think we’ve gone back to one for being faulty so I wouldn’t worry about them dying any time soon.

The enlite 5w ice lamps are top quality, all we ever use. The can doesn’t really matter so long as it is of a decent quality.

How do you find that sort of lighting when lying in bed looking up?
not that great, but I cannot now change them as I recently bought this house which has all these lights across.
lights in of the bedroom are fine to look at directly but the other one glares a lot.

You cannot change lamps in integrated fittings but a fitting with a GU10 lamp holder will almost certainly be bigger than 60mm, they just are. Of the hundreds of Enlite E8s I’ve fitted I don’t think we’ve gone back to one for being faulty so I wouldn’t worry about them dying any time soon.

The enlite 5w ice lamps are top quality, all we ever use. The can doesn’t really matter so long as it is of a decent quality.

Whats your view of knigthsbridge fittings, please see the attached.
https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...10+Dimmable+Downlight+IP20+50W+230V/552675496

I also like this one,http://auroralighting.com/gb/ProductDetail/EN-DLM211, but they are slightly bigger i.e. 65mm.

I will buy bought and check which ones look better and easy to fit.

thank you I am also looking for ICE bulbs in these holder especially Day Lights.
Regards

Nothing wrong with either Knightsbridge/MLA or Aurora (which is the Enlite parent anyway)

I would check you a) don't need them to be fire rated (probably don't) and there's no insulation surrounding them/covering them as those open backed fittings are a recipe for disaster if there's insulation nearby

not that great, but I cannot now change them as I recently bought this house which has all these lights across.
Of course you can change them.

Replacing or repairing the "swiss cheese" ceilings may be disruptive, it may cost money, but if you don't like the lighting you are not trapped in a situation where you have no choice but to put up with it.

Of course you can change them.

Replacing or repairing the "swiss cheese" ceilings may be disruptive, it may cost money, but if you don't like the lighting you are not trapped in a situation where you have no choice but to put up with it.

I would think it cheaper to patch up the ceiling and fit a pendant than buy more downlighters. A bit of plasterboard, timber, filler and white emulsion.....job done. Probably some MF boxes too.

Wherever I have installed (large) recessed lights, I've kept the plasterboard circles for patching the holes of needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back