CEILING FANS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please, I am attempting to replace a ceiling fan and after taking the old one down and fitting the new one the fuse keeps blowing.

coming out of the ceiling is three grey wires each contain 1 black 1 red and 1 earth, I put all 3 reds blacks and greens together what am I doing wrong
cheers

Sponsored Links
its because you have loop cables involved, not really anyway of telling you, its a job that needs doing by an electrician

Have you tried wiring the new fan the same way the old one was wired?

made the mistaker and just removed the old one without really noticing position of wires, any help would be great.
cheers
peter :oops:

Sponsored Links
buy a meter and find out what does what, after all you wouldn't put a nail in with a cabbage would you

one is incoming one is out going one is switch.

ANY OTHER SUPPORT

please note forum rule 6

You can buy them on ebay I paid 99p last week. Post was £3.00

peter 1 said:
Got one just a little unsure how to go about it, thanks for your reply

reading the instructions helps

(principal is same but dependant on meter)

Me again firstly I would like to thank all who responded to my question, I felt that by joining this forum I may of been able to get in contact with someone who had a simular problem, and could of given me a more detailed solution to sorting out the mess I have got myself into, nevertheless thanks to all who tried
Peter

set the MM to ohms, resistance. turn the 'lectric off, and test each pair of red and black until one of them varies in resistance when the switch is flicked. this is the switch wire. see the diagrams in the WIKI (top of page) for guidance from here.

:LOL:
Thanks to everyone who has supported reporting back with plenty of breeze in the bedroom followed by good light
again thanks
Regards
Peter

breezer said:
after all you wouldn't put a nail in with a cabbage would you.

Nah, course not. Don't be daft!!

I'd use a carrot, instead. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back