ceiling light replacement - urgent help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok folks here goes. I have managed to successfully replace the ceiling rose in my bedroom which was on its own and straight forward. I am having a night mare with the ones in my hall.

Two pendant lights, with two switches which should turn both on and or off together. Both lights have wires in yellow, grey, red, black and green - green one is copper with just a green sleeve on it.

They were wired up left to right on the little wiring plate like this
9 - the green cable

12 345 678
00 000 000

First one brown from the pendant, 2nd one yellow, thrid one grey, fourth one empty, fifth one red, sixth one empty, seventh one black, eight one blue from the pendant. Green covered wire went to back on its own.

I copied this exactly and neither of the lights work! Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
The reason you probably haven't had a reply is that from your description it would very difficult to give you specific information of what to do next.

Read this about two way lighting -

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

A photograph of the current set up in each ceiling rose and each switch would help - but ultimately you may need a multi-meter tester to identify the live loop, neutral loop and earth loop, the switch wire and the strappers.

That is unless your switches are acting as the live loop.

Ok folks I can't take a pictue as camera not working so I have coloured the cables on this diagram as they show up on my fitting. I'm sure one of the connections is wrong.

[/img]

What about the second ceiling rose and the light switches?

Sponsored Links
Do other lights work?

Have you checked the fuse/circuit breaker is ok?

Is there an RCD somewhere that has tripped that you haven't noticed?

Not sure how accurate your sketch is, it may be some diagram that you've adapted.

Are the wires you have singles; or are they wires that emerge from cables?

If they are actual cables, tell us which wires come from each cable.

Also describe the wiring at the other light, and if possible the switches.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

The diagram is cut and pasted from the wiki on here and then colours etc changed but it is accurate in all but one respect, mine runs the other way ie brown wire on far left and blue on far right ie mine goes 2, 3, 3 rather than 3,3,2 as in the diagram.

I can't get to open the switches now as it is too dark with no lights. They are all single wires except the black and the red which each have two bits of wire going together. I think I am going to look at the ones on the landing tomorrow and check how those are wired as it is an identical set up. I did look up the wire colours etc on the wiki but got a bit confused. It is so frustrating as the single one took five minutes to do. I'm on my own with 2 small kids and am looking after my mum who has broken he hip so I am a bit up a gainst it ad feeling rather fed up. Huge thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back