ceiling light wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So just purchased new ceiling light, and found out I have 3x 3 core wires 2 live, neutral, earth wires, and 1 which has 2 lives and 1 earth, how the hell do I wire this into new ceiling light that has just 3 wires going into it?

Sponsored Links
These are the cables

Attachments

• ceiling light.jpg
    ceiling light.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 81
Where is the photo you took before disconnecting the old fitting?

The cable with 2 reds is not 2 lives. Cables do not know what colour they are.

Sponsored Links
So just purchased new ceiling light, and found out I have 3x 3 core wires 2 live, neutral, earth wires, and 1 which has 2 lives and 1 earth, how the hell do I wire this into new ceiling light that has just 3 wires going into it?
The cable with two Red wires does not have two (live) Line conductors. These are two conductors going to the switch, one of which will become the Line conductor with the other one becoming the Switched Line conductor.
These are the cables
Your photo shows three cables.
Two cables of Twin (Red and Black) and Earth plus one cable with two Reds and Earth
It is likely that one of the Twin and Earth cables is the "supply" and the other is a cable going to supply other lighting fixtures. (So, what other lighting fixtures are not now operational?)

Get your voltmeter and, after turning on the breaker concerned, measure the voltage between the Red and Black on each of the Twin and Earth cables. One of these will have 240 V between them and will be the Supply. The other should not indicate any voltage potential.

Turn off the breaker concerned and, using an appropriate ceiling "rose" or connectors, join the two reds from the Twin and Earth plus one of the Reds from the Twin Red and Earth. This is your "Line" connection to the switch.

The other Red in the Twin Red and Earth will be the "Switched Line" (from the wall switch) and should be connected to the "Line" connection of the Light fitting. The "Neutral" connection of the Light fitting should be connected to the two Black insulated conductors joined together and all Earth wires should be connected together - and to any Earth connection of the Light fitting.

Have tested the cables and one shows current the other not, the one that shows power I connect to what?.

I can't stand it any longer.

Has your new light fitting already got connector blocks on it?

Does the switch for this room control just that one light, or is there another light in that same room?

If there is just ONE light controlled by one switch in that room, then

TURN THE POWER OFF.

Connect ONE of the reds from the cable that has two reds to the LIVE terminal on the light fitting.

Connect the remaining red from that cable, and the other two reds from the other cables to a separate connector block. These DO NOT connected to the light in any way.

Connect the blacks to the NEUTRAL on the light fitting.

Connect all the bare earth wires (making sure they are all sleeved with green and yellow sleeving) to the earth terminal on the light fitting.

So, four connections in all. Have you got enough connectors to do this?

And, you might want to centralise the ceiling bracket a bit better, the fitting won't be in the middle of the artex pattern and will look terrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back