Ceiling pendant holders

Well the thing that annoys me is I feel like I need an electric screwdriver to put in an ses bulb it's so many turns, but BC is just push, twist and you're done. Plus it's either in or it's out, not just loose and flickering.
I agree. I'm perfectly happy with all my BC ones and would only contemplate changing if/when it ever started becoming genuinely difficult to buy BC lamps/bulbs. That day certainly hasn't come yet, and I doubt that it will come any time soon.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
much more likely the shop staff that rearrange the shelves for out-of-stock items.

Try shopping elsewhere
If you can show me where I've claimed that the outlets I've mentioned don't have any BC bulbs you will thereby show why what you wrote was relevant.

I also don't recall ever having to remove a BC lamp cap that is jammed in the lampholder as it has come away from the lamp.

I can't speak of the shops, but online .... a search for "B22 lamp" gets zero hits, but a search for "B22 light bulb" :)-) ) gets ...
View attachment 112841

Kind Regards, John
Jolly good.

Remind me - did I claim that B&Q had no BC bulbs on sale, or did I say that they did not have any lights which take BC bulbs?

Sponsored Links
I also don't recall ever having to remove a BC lamp cap that is jammed in the lampholder as it has come away from the lamp.
I can remember GLS envelopes separating from BC bases just as well, or possibly better, than I remember the same with ES ones.

Well the thing that annoys me is I feel like I need an electric screwdriver to put in an ses bulb it's so many turns, but BC is just push, twist and you're done. Plus it's either in or it's out, not just loose and flickering.
The thing that annoys me about BC ones is that I have 4 wall lights which, when they had BC holders were ridiculously hard to relamp. They're this shape, although mine are plain glass.

470ea3988a1da6bb92d883cfbff77cf1.jpg

You needed a double jointed wrist to get the lamp in and twisted, and the pressure you had to apply used to bend the bracket that the holder was on. ES ones are so much easier to put in.

The point is that there are always going to be some lights where BC works better than ES, and vice-versa, and I don't think there is any rule you can use to determine which is which.

The other point is to read what I actually wrote:

I think that BC is giving way to ES.
Not has given way, is giving way.

I've not said that you can't buy BC lamps any more, only that it is getting harder.

The ratios of ES:BC on the websites, and in the shops, I've looked at bear that out, and the fact that far more countries use ES than BC means volumes will be larger and prices of BC will tend to be higher. And if B&Q are any guide, more and more people will be buying ES lights and fewer and fewer will be buying BC ones, so demand will tend to fall.

Falling demand and rising prices will, IMO, mean that BC will continue to give way to ES. Will the day come when there are no more BCs made? I don't know. There might. I very much doubt that the day will come when there are no more ESs made.

All things being equal, if starting with a blank canvas, I stand by my advice that going for ES makes more sense.

If you can show me where I've claimed that the outlets I've mentioned don't have any BC bulbs you will thereby show why what you wrote was relevant.
If you can show me that "out of stock items" is the same as "no BC bulbs are ever stocked" you will thereby show why what you wrote was relevant.

I'm coming to realise that there would be no point, as you don't seem able or willing to read what I am actually writing, but instead you prefer to invent things, and then, finding you disagree with them, decide to criticise me for your fiction.

I will leave it to others to find where I wrote, or could even be said to have reasonably implied, a claim of "no BC bulbs are ever stocked", and then, when they can't, to decide whether it is at all reasonable or intelligent to take any notice of you.

The big name stores no longer stock many BC or incandescent bulbs, so us aficionados have to go to the smaller electrical shops, who usually still stock the things, under the guise of "rough service" lamps.

The big name stores no longer stock many BC or incandescent bulbs,...
Did you perhaps mean "BC incandescent bulbs", rather than "BC or incandescent bulbs"??

I ask because B&Q, Homebase, Wickes and Screwfix, to name but a few, all stock substantial ranges of non-incandescent BC bulbs (and in some cases, even some BC incandescent ones).

Kind Regards, John

Quite a few homeware shops round here are still selling BC 60/100W tungsten filament GLS lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back