Ceiling rose problem

right well the other end of that black cable is up at the ceiling so get someone to operate the switch and you should see it come and go at the ceiling try each one in turn. you may have to touch the earths to get a better glow

Sponsored Links
I might have got that last part wrong, the black in the switch appears to glow whether it's on or off. Nothing on the ceiling on the two other blacks, when I touch the earth, whether or not the switch is on or off.

In the living room it is, not kitchen - the living room is connected up. Should I disconnect that switch for now?

Sponsored Links
no leave living room. if you put your screwdriver in black wire terminal of kitchen wall switch does it glow at the same strength as the red if the switch is on or off

It apperas slightly weaker than red when it's switched off, about the same when it's on.

just check that where the black cable goes into the terminal the screw has tightened onto the copper and not the black sheath.

where you saw the glow get weaker and brighter at the switch, if it is connected right in the switch you should see that weaker and brighter glow up at the ceiling on one of the balcks

can you find the black at the ceiling that glows brighter when switch is on

Sorry - don't see any glow at all on the other two celing blacks, when I touch the earth.

but does the one with a glow get weaker / brighter when the switch is operated?

If I don't touch an earth one of the two blacks changes glow between off/on (Other is constantly same). When i touch an earth neither glows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back