Ceiling wiring too short?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some new lights to fit in the dining room but can't fit them as there doesn't seem to be enough wiring.

I am trying to fit the bracket for the light but because the wiring is so tight I can't move it or the connection block out of the way to fit the bracket.

Should I push the wiring into the ceiling and extend it in some way if so what would be best as access from above is not possible :/

I've attached a picture which shows what I am talking about, the wiring is pretty tight!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160117_153745.jpg
    20160117_153745.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,122
Sponsored Links
Is there any slack on the cable to pull through the ceiling entry point?

If the cable where to be pushed up, they would need to go into an enclosure and if that enclosure then became inaccessible, it would need to be a maintenance free method of connection.

Hi, you require maintenance free connectors. Google -wago connector.

Regards,

DS

Need a picture of the actual fitting as we can't see WHY there isn't space for this connector block.

Would seperatin the blocks help?

Sponsored Links
Hi, you require maintenance free connectors. Google -wago connector.
Not all Wago connectors are MF and they are only needed if the joints are to be inaccessible and if they where a suitable enclosure would be required. I personally (noting against Wagos), Would opt for the Ashley Hager MF junctions.

I would agree in this case, Wagoboxes are BIG and you'd need to cut a big hole in the ceiling to get it in

Hi all. Thanks for the quick responses, I'll see if there is any more slack as I was being careful. I may try separating them into separate blocks as that could give me some wiggle room. I think another box will be too big so I'll try the above before I start making a hole.

Thank you all again.

surely it counts as accesible by removal of the light, if so the existing connecters, seperate if needbe, enclosed in a choc box would be the smallest option to push in the void, extending the wires out to the new fitting.

You may find the cables (above the ceiling surface) are clipped to the joist. If you can see clips up there, a bit of careful work with a screwdriver can release the cable and release that vital extra inch or two of cable.

Am I the only one who, when installing something new, or rewiring, always pushes a goodly length of "spare" cable into a ceiling or floor void, "just in case"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back