Central heating and hot water problem (possibly mid position valve related)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my central heating and hot water and I'm hoping I can get some advice. This is going to be quite long, but I want to give as much relevant info as possible. Thanks in advance.

The problem I first had was that my central heating was permanently on, even with the control panel set to off. Before this problem occurred, the system was working as expected and had been OK since I bought the house 13 years ago. I searched google and the various forums, including this one, seemed to suggest that the problem could be with the mid position valve/actuator. I looked at the lever on the unit and it seemed to be stuck on H. I opened the housing and could see that one of the resistors had partially come away from the circuit board and looked black, so I was confident that was where the problem was and it would be a simple case of replacing the unit. I removed the unit from the 3 port valve to check that the spindle hadn’t seized and it seemed fine. So, as a temp solution, I had to turn the power to the boiler off to stop the radiators getting hot.

My original mid position valve had the part number 679H340-30L0, so I bought a replacement with the part number MA1, thinking it was a direct replacement. Unfortunately, although the inards look basically the same, the housing is different and won’t fit on my 3 port valve. So I removed the circuit board, microswitch, motor and wiring from the new part and fitted it into the old housing. I connected the wires to junction box, making sure it was wired exactly as it was before I touched anything (I took a photo to be certain). I turned the power back on and checked that everything was working. With the central heating turned on at the control panel, the lever on the actuator moved from W to H. I waited a few minutes to make sure that the radiators were getting warm, which they were. I switched the central heating off, waited 10-15 mins and the radiators cooled down. I then went through the various different options (CH on, CH off, HW on, HW off, CH and HW on, CH and HW off etc). Everything seemed to work as expected. I then turned the CH on and left it on for a few hours, thinking the problem had been solved. When I came to turn the heating off at the control panel, the lever on the actuator stayed at H and the heating stayed on. Pulling my hair out at this point! I turned the HW on at the control panel and the lever moved to W. I then turned the HW off and the lever stayed at W. The radiators cooled down, so I thought I at least had a temporary solution to the problem with the radiators being permanently on. However, it now seems that hot water is still being requested!

So I’m now wondering if I’ve got very unlucky and the new circuit board or micro switches are faulty. Or maybe it’s something else?

Below is the photo of my junction box. I notice that one wire, indicated by the arrow, isn’t connected to the choc bloc. I removed the single wire that is in the choc block, expecting to see broken bits of wire from the other cable, which would have indicated that the loose wire was was originally connected and had been snapped off, but that wasn’t the case, so I have left it as I found it for now. Perhaps that wire is the cause of the problem though? The junction box is in a position where it can easily get knocked, so it’s feasible that’s what has happened and a wire has come loose, but I don’t want to wire it up without being certain.

junctionbox.JPG

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter? You'll need to be able to measure a few mains voltages to sort this out. That's a nice big wiring centre but the very useful labelling and all those terminals for the controls etc have been totally ignored. :cry:

With Heating Only selected on the programmer and the room thermostat calling for heat, you should have 240v on the 3 port valve Grey, White and Orange wires.

Than set the programmer so everything is Off and recheck those voltages. The only one to remain Live should be the Grey.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay replying.

With heating only selected and the lever on actuator at H, I have 240v on orange, 240v on white, 240v on grey.

With everything turned off on programmer, orange, white and grey are all still live (actuator stays on H).

With hot water only selected on programmer, lever moves to W and orange is live and I'm getting around 30v on white and about 5 on grey

If I turn hot water off at this point, so both water and heating are now off, actuator stays at W, orange and grey are live and I'm getting about 30v on white

With hot water and heating on, actuator moves to M, orange and white read 240v and grey is about 120v

There should only be a live on the white wire when the central heating is required. It should not be there when the heating is set to off at the programmer. The tricky part is to find out why? What happens when you remove the programmer from its backplate.

Last edited:
@stem

With the programmer removed, multimeter reads 240v on orange, 30v on white and a small current of about 5v on grey

Think the programmer could be the issue?

I just turned the heating on then off and I'm getting 240v through orange, white and grey. Actuator lever is still on H.

I then removed the programmer and the lever moved to W. Now getting 240v on orange, 30v on white, 5v on grey.

However, the pump is still running and pilot light is lit on the boiler, so think the water is still on. Thermostat on tank is set to 50 degrees

I did think it was the programmer but now it is removed from the backplate you still have 240V on Orange??

Can you identify the three wires which are connected to Orange in the wiring centre? I would expect at least... one from cylinder stat, 2nd to the boiler.... and in some systems a 3rd to the pump.

Beginning to wonder if the cylinder stat has a permanent live going to it, rather than getting it's live from the programmer only when HW is ON.

Last edited:
There's one from the pump, one from the cylinder stat and one which goes through the floor boards which I presume goes to the boiler.

Just to make sure I'm not being thick and giving you bad information, I've added a photo of the reading from the orange wire with the boiler turned off completely and the programmer off.

Also, now with everything off, the pump still seems to be running

image.jpg

No problem there, that's exactly how to make the measurement using Neutral as the reference.

Initially with the whole system power OFF, if you can safely remove and contain the wire from the cylinder stat that goes to orange and then check both it's voltage and the voltage at orange it should be useful. That's with system power back ON, and programmer removed.

Last edited:
With the wire that goes from cylinder stat to orange removed, I've still got 240v on orange.

Getting a very small reading on the cylinder stat wire.

Programmer is removed from back plate at this point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back