Central heating mains supply question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a thermal store from DPS heatbanks and an oil fired central heating range cooker from Redfyre.

The installation instructions from the heatbank state that the electrical supply to the boiler should come from the wiring centre on the heatbank and not from a separate supply. I therefore should run 4 core cable from the heatbank to the boiler to provide E, N, L and Switched Live.

The problem is that the wiring centre on the heatbank is rated at 3A and the power requirement of the Redfyre is 7A. How can I run a cable from the wiring centre to the Redfyre if the Redfyre may draw 7A and blow the 3A fuse spur for the wiring centre.

As the Redfyre is a boiler and a cooker, it needs a permanent live supply for the cooker side of things. The documentation from the Redfyre is useless but the unit itself does have 2 flex glands suggesting that two supplies are required, however there is only one multi-way plug type connector inside the cooker that provides for power and control switching.

can anybody help?

I also need to provide an isolation switch next to the Redfyre for servicing purposes and thought to use a fan isolator (3 pole) to swith the N, L and SW lines. If I can find one with a high enough rating, would this be ok.

BTW this is all being done on building notice along with an extension.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Contactors are amazing. Click picture to purchase and browse other options.

(Though im unsure as to what you're actually wiring up, it sounds like a switch contact rating issue, which a contactor would solve . . . )

Though if these 2 items are designed specifically to be run alongside each other, no other components should be required.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Crafty said:
Contactors are amazing

I'd love to know what you think of PLC's then??? :LOL: ;)
You're purposefully trying to make me look like a fool. Stop it. :LOL: :cool:

I'd come out with a witty knowledgable reply, but there are no Sparks online on MSN messenger! :LOL: RF lighting and Spark123 seem to have gone to bed early this evening!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back