Changing Accounts For Gas & Electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having BG & my local electricity company all my life, I have finally got sick of them.

This was prompted by BG writing to tell me that I was £180 in CREDIT, but they still wanted to take £80 per month out of our account.

And Powergen writing to say we were £100 in credit, and that they were continuing to take £50 per month out of our account.

I've just woken up to the fact that £130 per month is a lot!

Went to u-switch and found npower to be cheapest, based on our inputs.

Anybody else switched recently?

Hope the old companies will swiftly refund what they owe....

Sponsored Links
After seeing my monthly direct debit increasing to £92 for gas and £76 for electricity I decided to swap from british gas to power gen.
Power gen said they would reduce my dd for gas down to £75 per month, and on that basis I agreed to switch.
Just received a tel call from british gas who have informed me the I am over £200 in credit on the gas and that they can reduce my dd for gas down to £75 per month.
In addition because I am now classed as a high user they will give me one months gas free upto £56 if I stay with them.
I have agreed and I await an offer from power gen.
Isn't free enterprise wonderful.

changed to powergen for both my gas & electric over two years ago following uswitch recomendation

Got rebates from both my prior suppliers no problem

Also get Tesco Club card points off powergen :D :D

british gas are by far and away the most expensive the phrase up to could mean 76P dont trust door to door from any company

go for u switch or the other impartial companys
http://www.uswitch.com/Index.aspx?ref=gotoast~goog~u switch

the best deals are gained by duel fuel
direct debit
and on line in that order so all 3 max savings

i switched several years ago and have only now with all the fuel increases adding up to adout 50% caught up with what i was paying before :D :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
we switched via the uswitch thingy. Npower were a pile of pants so weve switched to powergen. I agree go for dual fuel, direct debits and internet. Watch the level of your bills and direct debits. All the time your overpaying them theyre earning intrest on the money, and your not!

Yeah, that's why I get my t*ts in a twist - BG holding on to all my money, and asking for another payment! Cheeky twots!

Hey SS, I swapped last Nov to Atlantic Electricity and Gas, dropping SWEB and BG.
I had a full handle on our historical usage in kWh.
Until Sept this year I was 'behind' in my gas account but catching up with regards to total cost, the old 'trickery' was within £13 to their advantage.
During Sept I was informed that AEG would increase my gas Direct Debit such that their total take shifted from £78 to £100 pm... I was on the ball with meter readings and price increases so during Oct I informed them that the gas take should drop to £44 as of Nov, they agreed and implemented that, in writing... So I am back on £81 total pm for both E&G.
My advice is, read your meters, use U-Switch to keep abreast of tariff changes, I just save the tariff screen as a pix <alt> <Print Screen> and slap it in with my spreadsheet cost calculator - USwitch also provide news and historical data - Tis not much cop changing to a supplier who is about to, or needs to, increase costs within the old cycle - soon.

I am sure most half 'techy' peeps will not fall into the 'fool's paradise' of paying too little for too long .. the supplier reads meters, on the odd occasion, at supposedly 3 month intervals ... One could become extremely disillusioned if underpayment should continue for too long ....

:D :D :D

So these cheapo gas companies - will their gas block up my boiler 'cos it hasn't been filtered enough? Will it take longer for the heating to warm up? Does the gas smell different? Is it "pink" gas, diluted, like pink diesel, that we should all be keeping quiet about to the tax man?

As for electric, I dread to think . . . will cheaper electrons come out the wrong way? Will they come out slowly? Is the quality of the electric worse? Do the electrons come out dizzy? Do they burn "alternative" fuels to produce it? Dogs, cats etc?

crafty1289 said:
So these cheapo gas companies - will their gas block up my boiler 'cos it hasn't been filtered enough? Will it take longer for the heating to warm up? Does the gas smell different? Is it "pink" gas, diluted, like pink diesel, that we should all be keeping quiet about to the tax man?

As for electric, I dread to think . . . will cheaper electrons come out the wrong way? Will they come out slowly? Is the quality of the electric worse? Do the electrons come out dizzy? Do they burn "alternative" fuels to produce it? Dogs, cats etc?

dosn't matter what name is on the bill its the same gas from the same source in the same pipes or wires for that matter

And sometimes the same company as before... Atlantic was a budget alternative supplier bought up by Scottish & Southern (and Welsh)

:LOL: You lot . . . you didnt take me seriously did you? :LOL:

Of course its the same stuff! same wires, same pipes! :cool:

I linked the wrong web site. :oops:

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/price+updates.asp
I found this site a little more informative than U-Switch... with a neater tariff window...
Note on the 'Price updates page' listings for :-

PRICES COMING AND NOT YET UPDATED:

NEW PRICES RECEIVED AND UPDATED:

Do a comparison and on the results page hit the exclamation mark in the 'cost box' to see the 'neat' tariff details.
;)

crafty1289 said:
:LOL: You lot . . . you didnt take me seriously did you? :LOL:

Of course its the same stuff! same wires, same pipes! :cool:

I've found the cheaper leccy does actually alternate appreciably slower than the normal gear...you can see lights & TV's flicker because of it.

Several of our customers complain about it, too.

K'in alternates ok, from expensive to even more expensive !
:D :D

Sponsored Links
Back