Changing conventional ceiling rose to halogens - but too many connections in the block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the image below, the original block has 2 sets of black, one earth and one live. The new light has 3 sets, not 4. I've shown where the original blue cable has come out of the block.

Do I just maintain the current configuration and wire from the existing block to the new block or re-wire the new block with the existing wires?

Ta!

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3480.JPG

P.S. Please ignore dead arachnid.

Sponsored Links
As per the image below, the original block has 2 sets of black, one earth and one live.
Perfectly normal: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

Do I just maintain the current configuration and wire from the existing block to the new block
You could do that, if the new light will fit over the old rose & connector block.

or re-wire the new block with the existing wires?
Or you could do that: //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

If you do, then FGS don't lose track of which black is the switched live.

Firstly, top marks for asking before ripping out the old connections!

You will probably need to remove the old rose to fit the new bracket.

Keep the old connector as the new one is too small for the number of wires you have. Run a new piece of 1.0mm² twin and earth between the old block and the new block. Don't forget earth sleeving on the bare earth wires. If you unwire the old block don't forget which black is switched live, a bit of red sleeving or red tape to mark it is a good idea.

Edit: beaten again, and with a better reply!

Sponsored Links
Thank you both! Very good advice. Shall be re-wiring the existing wires into the new terminal block and connecting the red lives in a new separate terminal connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back