Changing flue from top to back of wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had my stove for a couple of years and it's set back into the fireplace recess with a plate to stop the draughts. I bought an elbow so I can bring the stove into the room a bit to give me more heat but I can't get the back screws loose to get the back plate off. Is this because they have attached themselves due to the heat or am I doing something wrong. I'm a small female so perhaps just don't have the strength to turn the screws?? Please help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is a possibility that the screws are actually nuts and bolts, so do check that first.....failing that its a big screwdriver and plenty of muscle, I'm afraid - together with copious sprays of WD40 or similar.
I doubt whether the extra few inches of projection into the room would make any difference really - assuming your stove flue passes through a register plate which effectively blocks the chimney off.
Have you considered an 'eco fan'?
John :)

HI,

I am a Hetas registered stove fitter.

Firstly, you should not be doing this job yourself unless you are doing it under Building Control guidance or are registered as a competent person under an official scheme e.g. Hetas.

You can only come off the back of a stove with a purpose designed 45 degree elbow (so soot falls back into the stove and does not block the stove) or a T with a soot door. A ninety degree elbow is not allowed. You may of course know all this.

Trying to dismantle bits of old stoves is often difficult if not impossible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back