Changing from hip to gable roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new to this site so please accept my apologies if I’ve missed anything.

I’ve got full planning consent for a garage conversion and extension on top. The new extension has a hip roof that’s been approved by planning.

Builder advising a gable roof will look much nicer as surrounding houses have a similiar extension with gable roof (plus the added benefit of more loft space)

I submitted a non material amendment and it got refused by the council saying the following:

“The proposed amendment is material as the change in roof design materially increases the volume of the roof over the extension and materially alters the appearance of the extension.”

I’m just considering my options now but was curious if changing from hip to gable come under PD?

Sponsored Links
I’m just considering my options now but was curious if changing from hip to gable come under PD?
Not if the hip roof is part of the extension. Permitted development rights only apply to the original property, not any extensions.

Not if the hip roof is part of the extension. Permitted development rights only apply to the original property, not any extensions.
Ah right thank you for the clarification.

The annoying thing is I spoke to the deputy head of planning department over the phone and his advice was as long as it wasn’t out of character with the rest of the street he doesn’t see an issue!

Have they advised whether they are likely to approve amended plans? Sounds like they might if it won’t look out of place on your street…

Sponsored Links
No idea I just found out today late afternoon.
Will have to ring and speak to the officer tomorrow.
Thank you for your help
Have they advised whether they are likely to approve amended plans? Sounds like they might if it won’t look out of place on your street…

They have refused your amendment, not refused the idea of altering it to a gable. You need to make a new application.

And the big question is why didn't your designer design it correctly in the first place and, if there was an option, discuss that with you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back