Changing US plug to UK 3 pin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of buying my wife a waffle maker from the US and I am wondering if I cut the plug off it and change it to a UK 3 pin plug if it will cause any issues.

It’s 120v and 1400w.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will overheat and set on fire.

UK voltage is 230V, which is entirely different to the 120V used in the USA.
If you must buy such a thing, it would require the use of a step down transformer, such as this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5497.html

More realistic is to buy a waffle maker from the UK or Europe which will already be the correct voltage.

Contact the supplier and ask if they do a 230v version.
A lot of the US actually uses 240v as well as 120v.

The US 240v is only used for large fixed loads, cookers, hivac etc. Never for small portable appliances. So it is unlikely they will do a 240v version unless it is for export.

Sponsored Links
Contact the supplier and ask if they do a 230v version.
A lot of the US actually uses 240v as well as 120v.

Also check if it is suitable for UK frequency - US uses 60Hz, UK is 50Hz, though probably only important if there is a transformer, or it uses mains for timing.

Hi

I am thinking of buying my wife a waffle maker from the US and I am wondering if I cut the plug off it and change it to a UK 3 pin plug if it will cause any issues.

It’s 120v and 1400w.

Thanks
The plug is not the issue.

It's a ridiculous idea.

If you want a waffle maker, buy one designed for the rest of the world which runs at about 230volts

Being far even big companies make errors bringing USA 120 volt stuff into the UK, had it was some flood lights on a generator, the guy who bought them thought he could use the 120 volt as 110 volt outlets but it was 0 - 110 not 55 - 0 - 55 volt. And many caught out with Nest thermostats, the USA version nothing like the UK version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back