charity not quite what you think

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have always known door step collections for charity are private businses with only between around 7-15% going to the charity
i assumed the shops would be much better with high 80%+ going to the front line-------------

------------how wrong can you get
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

from all the high street charity shops the average going to the main charity is 19p
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
confused2.gif

with age uk at 5p and Barby Keel a local animal charity shop at the top with 65p

Sponsored Links
What should give the game away is that there are so many of them popping up all the time. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't lucrative.

But anyway there will be some people that read this and come out in defense of charities and that's fine. Trouble is while you have people willing to blindly defend them it makes it harder to see what is actually going on. I still givd my junk away to charity shops to sell. Not because it will necessarily get to who it's supposed to help, just so that someone can profit. I've known for a long time that they keep almost all of it. What bothers me the most though is the lies charities tell to their bottom of the chain staff. They tell them they can't afford to pay them all the while managers at upper ends of the company draw big salaries.

There's this ''its for charity '' culture in this country, and it's an easy and lazy option for people to make themselves feel good about helping without actually having to help. And I can understand that because most people don't have the time to volunteer as they are swimming in debt trying to stay afloat. Sadly a load of parasites have moved in acting as middle men to take advantage of people's good will and guilt and they call themselves charities. Frankly if I want to help I volunteer my time for free. Not one penny would I give to a charity now.

Another thing is being confronted by armies of bucket shakers in the high street and being scoffed at for deliberately trying to avoid having a conversation. Can't see how this is any different to begging. The ironic thing is that homeless are often moved on by police for being unsightly. So the homeless guy who might benefit from the whole pound you give him can't even get that because the charities take it instead lol. Interesting world we live in.

My Dad tried to give some money to a charity collector in his local supermarket.

The charity guy said, we dont take cash, we only set up direct debits.......how much a month Sir?

Sponsored Links
I don't give money to any charities. I do volunteer for two charities though. I have been saying this for a long time. Charities that want 2 or 3 pound a month on a DB are slowly but surely pricing themselves out of the market. Becaus the vast majority of charities want to do it this way smaller concerns are suffering because when we see chuggers we all tend to cross the road. If I gave to every charity that advertises on the telly I would need charity myself to exist. We are also becoming hardened to the "harrowing" pictures of children bombed out of house and home in foreign climes and animals caught in traps or killed for various parts of their bodies. Me "adopting" an elephant is not going to stop the killing of these animals nor will my "adoption" of a small child in a land far far away going to stop the bombing.

I'm sorry in this day and age I need every penney I get for me to survive. I cannot afford to give it away.

Pete, charity begins at home. People should only give if they are able and shouldn't apologise otherwise.

My Dad tried to give some money to a charity collector in his local supermarket.

The charity guy said, we dont take cash, we only set up direct debits.......how much a month Sir?
Hope he told em to do one. We get a few of those knocking on our door. Some stranger asking for my bank details for a DD, urm, no.

chuggers are paid its a job tell them you dont have a bank account they will leave you alone

from all the high street charity shops the average going to the main charity is 19p
Do you mean the well known ones such as Oxfam, help the aged, Sense, xxx hospice etc or just the smaller ones?

Thanks. I’ll have to look at it when I get home - on holiday in Spain at the moment and WiFi is not fast enough to stream anything.

chuggers are paid its a job tell them you dont have a bank account they will leave you alone

Actually most of them are volunteers not even pulling a wage. The bucket shakers I see have all been roped into doing it for nothing. Mugs game.

Sponsored Links
Back