Chasing & Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Excuse the drawing! Taking into consideration regulations and safe zones would I be able to route the cables as shown? Or would they have to get routed along the downstairs ceiling and up through the corner?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for any help!

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
The cu create a safe zone for it's footprint, left, right, top and bottom.

That safe zone can't extend to the floor above since no way could it be seen through a floor !

Now if the socket upstairs happens to be placed where you need to take the lighting cable route, that would create a safe zone left, right, top and bottom of the socket.

That would mean a chase behind the back box for the lighting 3 core.

Now if the socket upstairs happens to be placed where you need to take the lighting cable route, that would create a safe zone left, right, top and bottom of the socket.
Not according to the Wiring Regulations.

They are quite clear that such zones apply only to the cables connected to the socket.

Would a safe zone be created for a cable joint in the socket box not actually connected to the socket accessory, rather like a safe zone is created by a blank plate & choc block cable joint? And if so, would a safe zone be created for a cable running through the box, but not actually connected in it?

(My) common sense makes me open the accessory to see in which directions the cables exit. If the cable was chased in behind the box, it would not be obvious it was there, but running through would make it obvious.

Sponsored Links
They are quite clear that such zones apply only to the cables connected to the socket.

Thank you I've just learned something.

What a bizarre situation, a socket creates a safe zone- so anyone who knows would work to the assumption that left, right, above and below is a safe zone.
So in effect you have a safe zone above the socket which can't be used !

In which case upstairs the safe zone will be either inside 150mm corner rule or below the switch the 3c will terminate in.

Not according to the Wiring Regulations.

Interesting. That goes against a lot of stuff I've seen. As I don't have my big red book with me, could you quote the relevant reg(s)?

Edit: I found the relevant regulation. It is indeed quite clear.

522.6.6 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or partition shall:
(v) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of 100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side.

The drawing is a little unclear in couple of respects.

The cable from the CU to the socket should be a little to the left so that it is under the socket.

The vertical parts of the lighting cable look fine. Where exactly are you proposing to run the horizontal sections though? In the wall just above the floor is not allowed. In the wall just below the ceiling (within 150mm) is allowed, but possibly not best practice. The usual way would be to route it within the floor space. There are a few rules for this, but they aren't too difficult to follow.

Hi

Really appreciate the replies, thanks very much!

The usual way would be to route it within the floor space. There are a few rules for this, but they aren't too difficult to follow

Unfortunatetly the floor space is non existent as its a stairway :confused: I suppose I could route alongside but would mean drilling through joists so wanted to find the 'easiest' way

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back