cheapest and or quickest way to cut this brick without disturbing it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut the brick under the bottom of this hole. so as to bring the hole down one brick. this will allow me to run my ventilation straight outside.

The idea is to cut the brick fit the plastic pipe and then pack the whole with deep cement to strengthen it all back up.

obviously i cant remove it to try to cut it without bracing and all sort of other things.

IMG_20160117_134658460_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160117_134705153_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Internally on soft brick, I use a reciprocating saw and a few few deep toothed wood blades or hardened steel blade. There are tungsten grit and toothed blades available though.

But a sharp tap as vertical as possible with a bolster or cold chisel will tend to crack that brick in half.

If you stitch drill it first its more likely to split were you want it to split.

I thought about the reciprocating saw but its a tool i dont have and probably not a good idea to buy another tool just yet as i seem to have an addiction at the moment.

Stitch drilling sounds like the winner if i have enough room i hadnt thought of it. thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you not put the vent in the ceiling with an inline extractor in the loft, outlet via the soffit?

Far less trouble than cutting through walls, and the fan will be much quieter.

unfortunately not, the soffits are asbestos, so im not going anywhere near them! they have been tested in a lab.

If the brick does start moving when you attack it, just prop that end of the lintel with a bit of 4 x 2 in the window return, do your extract duct & put the brickwork back in packed with slate. Well worth stitch drilling first, may be worth (if you have a small grinder with a diamond disc) scoring the inside & outside where you want to get rid of it.

Given that your window reveal will need remedial work anyway, just prop the lintel and remove the brick. Cut it and replace.

you know i might do that probably a lot quicker and a lot less mess.

ill see if i can prop it properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back