Circular wall socket / outlet legal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a law against a single plug socket/wall outlet being installed with a round plate over a square design ?

I ask because it seems like such a hassle to install a square design when drilling into a wall, why not use a circular hole saw drill bit to make the job easier ?

Sponsored Links
There used to be clock connectors which would fit a BESA box, and I have fitted pullcord switches into them before, but other than that, I can't think of any other UK accessories that are designed to fit a circular box.

Continental stuff is like this, but whether you could argue that met 7671, I'm not sure.

You can get a square wall cutter, used with a SDS+ drill.

Sponsored Links
Lighting sockets for some reason seem to be round, and hole spacing matches a conduit box, but never seen any power sockets with round back boxes at 13 amp rating, following BS7671 is not a legal requirement, so as to if circular outlets legal nothing to stop you using them.

This uses three separate tools, with as many steps.

A single tool in one action would be hard to beat.

The tool depends on how hard the wall is, with brick it often fails. I did fit these
shopping
at bed head for bed side lamps, but latter swapped for some thing like this
shopping
and used these
shopping
as back boxes, and hole spacing was spot on, however since it also required cables and switches, still needed square hole for switch back box and parallel sided runs for oval conduit, biggest problem was to find switches, three in plate at door, and two each bed side one which had to be an intermediate. Had to wire so intermediate at bed head on one side, and so they matched very limited on style. Also the conduit boxes are rather deep.

I am sure could have used hole saw, but it would have wrecked it, so cold chisel for all. Also behind bed head was the flue brick, so had to be very careful to ensure either side of flue brick and the flue brick was not touched. And that is the problem with power tools, too easy to damage things.

Lighting sockets for some reason seem to be round, and hole spacing matches a conduit box, but never seen any power sockets with round back boxes at 13 amp rating, following BS7671 is not a legal requirement, so as to if circular outlets legal nothing to stop you using them.

MK did make a 13A square pin socket that fitted onto a round BESA box back in the 70s' ... I'll try & find a pic. They also made a 5A round pin versions &, I think, a 15A round version too.

A hole may be preferable for a single outlet, however most people i imagine want doubles, so would be a massive round hole.
I would quess the sguare box evolved due to its ease of building into brickwork

MK did make a 13A square pin socket that fitted onto a round BESA box back in the 70s' ... I'll try & find a pic. They also made a 5A round pin versions &, I think, a 15A round version too.
312WHI AND 315WHI ARE SILL AVAILABLE I BELIEVE

Thanks for the reply guys. What about two single holes next to each other, like binoculars. I remember we had three, with different plug designs (painted over).

Uz4Lw4F.png

I think they used to all be single in the old days, it was quaint and looked odd, old fashioned, but beautiful.

Last edited:
That was common in the 1930s and earlier, where there were many different types of outlet, and installing them in or on skirting boards was considered the proper thing to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back