City & Guilds NVQ 6189-11 Level 2 Plumbing & heating

In the end we had to go with BG since there were no offers on here, and the bloke who visited (who has an LPG ticket which one of the hobs uses) pointed out several things that needs correcting - such as easily accessible isolation valves behind adjacent drawers rather than at ground level behind kick boards, proper ventilation etc.

Bit of a pity that the RGI who installed the hobs last year and gave us our ticket didn't mention the AR and NCS things at the time, but that's life.

I think this BG fellow may haved been using a little ( lot ) of poetic licence in advising you!

My understanding was that the gas isolation tap on a hob merely had to be "accessible" and NOT readily accessible.

I lost an argument with RGIs that an isolation valve BEHIND a screwed in oven was not acceptable. It turns out that it IS quite acceptable. Based on that your valve behind the kickboard which can be accessed without tools seems totally acceptable.

Ventilation is well set out and depends on the size of the kitchen. In most cases, all that is required is an openable window or door!

Tony

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day, since he's (apparently) the only BG bloke with an LPG ticket who works the area due to it being unusual in London, we'll have to go with his advice.

All of the gas pipework was replaced about 7 years ago after a house fire which led to several walls being ripped down etc - it seemed an opportune time to replace the centuri old pipes. So the original installer put the valves at kick board height (the boards are clipped and not screwed on), the bloke last year was happy with them there, but this fella ain't. Ah well, a couple of hundred quid to make him happy and remove all doubt in the future ain't worth the argument.

The valve that isolates the hob is there for future maintenance and service,it's for future engineers.the requirement is that on a new instal it should be fitted,it doesn't have to be accessible at all for you.
The valve that you use in an emergency is the big one next to the meter.

Seems unfortunate that some British Gas engineers give the hard sell on something that's not even regarded as Not To Current Standards.

If that was an independent doing it Naz would be branding him an over charging cowboy,cos the guys turned up in a blue van then it's ok to waste money on unnecessary work.

Sponsored Links
The valve that isolates the hob is there for future maintenance and service,it's for future engineers.the requirement is that on a new instal it should be fitted,it doesn't have to be accessible at all for you.
The valve that you use in an emergency is the big one next to the meter.

Seems unfortunate that some British Gas engineers give the hard sell on something that's not even regarded as Not To Current Standards.

If that was an independent doing it Naz would be branding him an over charging cowboy,cos the guys turned up in a blue van then it's ok to waste money on unnecessary work.

Just as it appears to be acceptable for BG to con OAPs, when they state a perfectly serviceable boiler needs to be replaced!!
'Written without prejudice'
(You've got to watch what you write on here, BG are spying on this forum. Say the wrong thing & yer kicked out like Franky Cokenosea!!)

You on crack? , ever seen an install carried out by a CC/CCC? :LOL:
Yep - mine. And it's a damned sight better that anybody else's ;) :LOL:

Here 'cantaloupe63' if you fancy a job(Ref my post from a couple of days ago) post up your details.
Squad of two, 5 installs/week, 6 rads & a combi, one day install - job'n'finish. £200/head. Current Krus are finished by 3.30pm on a bad day.
CC/CCC couldn't work on sites like we have, they're f.cking useless.

Here 'cantaloupe63' if you fancy a job(Ref my post from a couple of days ago) post up your details.
Squad of two, 5 installs/week, 6 rads & a combi, one day install - job'n'finish. £200/head. Current Krus are finished by 3.30pm on a bad day.
CC/CCC couldn't work on sites like we have, they're f.cking useless.
Hats off to your crews then - that's what time and experience does for you. Luckily I had all the time in the world to make my wetwork a thing of beauty and joyous to behold :LOL:

The 6129 was interesting for a novice like me. Maybe it was overpriced, but it kept some people in work. Both there and here have taught me that I know eff-all about your professions, a bit like you know eff-all about mine in spite of what you think ;)

I'm not in awe of you, but I respect your knowledge and came to a conclusion pretty early on that it would take years to develop that knowledge which, at my age, would have been cutting it too fine.

a bit like you know eff-all about mine in spite of what you think

You're right, I know feck all about you or your career........... ;)

a bit like you know eff-all about mine in spite of what you think

You're right, I know f**k all about you or your career........... ;)
It ain't no secret if you look around ;) :)

Anyway, back to Naz's op about training for gas now that he has mastered so many of those skills through doing a few little jobs after work for a couple of mates and his family. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back