city & guilds nvq2??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a brief recap on the history of plumbing qualifications.

1950/6os It was a five year apprenticeship with day release to attend a local collage in order to gain a city and guilds qualification however you was paid a small wage by your employer whilst doing this
After this you still needed to be an improver for another two years before you became a fully qualified plumber.
Some employers wouldn't allow you to attend day release after the first couple of years which produced a lot of top quality plumbers who never had any formal qualifications.

Early1970s Plumbing was now down to just a four year apprenticeship city and guilds course ending hopefully in an advance city and guilds qualification.
Again you served an apprenticeship and attended a local collage on day release and you were still paid a weekly wage by your employer.
Employers were now generally supporting apprentices a lot more in the way of helping them to attain a formal qualification.

Late 1970s Recession is here and for the first time lots of youngsters cannot find a job as an apprentice in the plumbing trade. Which in turn collages start to let them attend collage and attain city and guilds qualifications without ever having a job.

Mid1980s/90s The rot as now set in with loads of people now having the once mighty city and guilds qualifications without ever having a job. City and guilds are abolished and replace with the nvq in which the apprentices now have to prove that they are gaining practical experience and the term time for a plumbing apprentice is now down to 3 years.

2000 Fastrack plumbing courses are now all the rage due to a major shortage of plumbers.
40 plus year old butchers bakers caretakers etc are now paying out their savings/redundancy money to training centres which are springing up all over the place offering 6 month fast track plumbing courses.
The traditional apprenticeship as all but dissapeared

Mid 2000s Apprenticeships are making a return wth youngsters once more being paid a wage and attending collage on a day releae basis. The apprenticeship term time is now down to just 2 years though.

2010 And the trade is again awash with all manner of plumbers who simply don't have the experience/knowledge to do the job.

A question I often ask myself was if I was one of todays fastrack adult trainees or even a young apprentice plumber would I be able to make a go of it knowing what I now know?

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't fancy it one bit!

Sponsored Links
NVQ level 2 Plumbing is a Craft Certificate, basic none complex systems, its a 2 year course as a modern apprentice, then 2 more years for your NVQ level 3 in complex systems, 4 years all togeather with option to do ACS in level 3 4th year, all certificates a City & guilds, this was a day release course

When i went to college the lads who couldnt get a job did the same sort of course, but instead of having a portfolio of site and college work they just had college portfolio, and they gained what was called a technical certificate, but not an NVQ, as far as i know that was also awarded by City & Guilds, this was a 3 day a week in college course, the guys that provided the training, Skills Solutions, Best, etc etc tried to find them jobs if they got one they then came over th NVQ course

Nice post OLLIE and it has helped me get my head around the plumbing apprenticeship of today - I must admit that it does sound quite complicated.
In my day plumbing gaswork and even basic electrics were all covered in the 4 year city and guilds course, you couldn't just do the plumbing element on it's own.
When gaswork was first separated from plumbing sometime around 1993 plumbers had to suddenly fork out an extra £1000 quid if they wanted to carry on doing the gaswork that they had been doing all their working life!

Just goes to show how things are consistently changing along with the passage of time.

Sponsored Links
..........lets not forget the complete waste of time that was Gas Work ACOPs.

Yes, our trade is ever changing, but certainly not for the better, with training getting ever shorter and limited experience. However, one thing that is more important now than ever before; An apprenticeship is vital!!

hi just thinking about training to become a plumber...
Not being funny mate, think again. Tens of thousands experienced, established, fully qualified guys are sitting at home. Unless you are an absolute start at sales and marketing, you'll starve.

I was out walking the Gun Dogs this morning, when a rusty old gypo Tranny van stopped. It was a Builder, an old mate, well, when I say Builder he's a Joiner & a very good Joiner at that.

Two years ago, we did a site of twenty houses for him, he sold the lot & made serious money on it!! Of course things have gone t.ts up since then, he's now working on his own for £7.50/hour!!!

I've never known the Building trade to be so bad, good guys working for coppers!!

As for the Plumbing/Heating trade; all I can say is, thank f.ck I sold my share 18 months ago & I'm now just employed on a consultant basis.

...As for the Plumbing/Heating trade; all I can say is, thank f.ck I sold my share 18 months ago & I'm now just employed on a consultant basis.

Contact address for Dick's Consultancy:
11 Nut road
Dreamtown,
Cloud Cuckoo Land :rolleyes:

Just as well they removed the word gullible form next year's Oxford concise.

The only thing Delta T has ever sold is his ar$e and that was for pennies.

I've never known the Building trade to be so bad, good guys working for coppers!!

Site I'm on at the moment, the gaffer starts skilled brickies on Monday and by Wednesday there on the mixer, erecting scaffolding, humping blocks etc just to keep them selves in a job. Its very depressing to see.
We've had a couple of site managers looking for jobs who were on £1200 a week before the bust. Guys in their forties and fifties.
We only employ foreigners now. Better work ethic IMO.

Dear oh dear, you 'bengasbag' & 'dangermouth' must only be making buttons. While I still command a very large salary indeed.

The Big Green Eyed Monster me thinks!!........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Never mind chaps, the phone may ring tomorrow.......... :LOL: :LOL:

Dear oh dear, you 'bengasbag' & 'dangermouth' must only be making buttons. While I still command a very large salary indeed.

The Big Green Eyed Monster me thinks!!........... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Never mind chaps, the phone may ring tomorrow.......... :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Very large salary indeed? As a rentboy maybe!

well a large salary in glasgow is peanuts to us down south.
only need to look at the housing conditions up glasgow like slums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back