Clarification of the regs, specail location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I seem to be in an argument over the wiring regs to a burger van....
The equipment need runs to much current for radial circuits, so I have decided to place a ring in and update the MCB as the main breaker RCD is capable of the extra current....

However the argument is over whether or not flat twin PVC can be used...
My argument is that the extra current has required a new ring main, and that flexible cable will not stand up to the extra current (in a flexible ring) and so far to my knowledge flexible cable cannot be used in a ring, and certainly not in fixed installations (I remember wiring a porta cabin with twin and earth....

I have had some words over the use of flexible cable and the other person has said that since its a burger van, flexible cable must be used to compensate for movement whilst in transit... however... I have since been told by the client that this particular van will be static, and should not be moved regularly. I have assumed that providing everything is tied into the building fabric of the van securely, then this should not be a problem..I have looked through some of the regs regarding, flexible cable, but have not found anything specific, to this case, and I do not hold a copy of the regs at this time.. can anyone advise?

so, am I correct in using the fixed PVC cable if the van is intended to remain in a fixed position, or does it even make much difference at all?

Sponsored Links
Flex is the preferred cable for these sorts of installations due to vibration.

There is nothing wrong with using flex for fixed installation wiring, or to form a ring circuit. Why do you think it would be allowed with one cable type and not with another?

I have to say though, that installing a ring circuit into something like a burger van sounds like a terrible design.

What are the proposed loads in the van?

I don't understand the comment regarding too much current for radial circuits. Maybe you just need more radial circuits or bigger radial circuits??
What is the supply type?

What the others are hinting at is that ... there is nothing you can do with a ring that you can't do with a radial, provided it's designed right. In fact, the reverse is true - there are many things you can do with a radial that you can't do with a ring.

One issue with stranded cable is that (IMO) a lot of accessory terminals are not friendly to stranded cores. I suspect I'm in a minority, but I usually use bootlace ferrules on stranded.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you need to find someone who is competant in this sort of installation. Any faults due to bad wiring in this sort of installation will end in disaster and will affect your insurance.

whathesaidsmiley.gif

mm, ok, I have learned something today, this has been the first time i have been confronted with a job on a burger van, my thinking was that using flexible cable in houses and other fixed areas would be incorrect, and I then applied his to the static, (or what I seen as fixed installation in the Burger van.)

The supply is a 63a RCD supplying, one 32amp ring, two 6a lighting circuits, and two 20amp radial circuits.

It happens to be quite a large van, most sockets are on the same circuit, wired originally in 2.5 flex.
there were 3 double sockets in total, and we have added another 2, making 5.

The equipment being used range from electric chip fryers, doughnut machine, 2 fridges, cash register, a slush machine and a few other things like a kettle, I had personally thought that the 2.5 flex would not be enough, and opted to put the PVC cable in as I presumed it could take more amps.

I will wire it all in with 2.5 flex, but I am temped to fill the fuse box with MCBs and use radial circuits. (or do you think the ring would be better?

its just as easy to wire the ring as I have already done it with the PVC flat twin.

forgot to mention, i appreciated all the help and comments :)

It doesn't sound as though you are sure what you are doing, and in a commercial situation, that is not a good position to be in.

Having the lighting on the same RCD as fryers and a slush machine is a seriously bad idea.
I would include an emergency light that ran on batteries and came on automatically on power failure. Essential if the van depends on a generator and is used when daylight is poor.

I would include an emergency light that ran on batteries and came on automatically on power failure. Essential if the van depends on a generator and is used when daylight is poor.
Except that it will eat it's batteries very quickly, and they'll be flat most of the time - a standard EL won't work very well when it's an intermittent supply like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back