Cleaning inside a bath - green stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'd like to do a favour for a friend by cleaning the inside of this bath. I'm not sure what or why this discolouration is happening. Any thoughts welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_061109745.jpg
    IMG_20221027_061109745.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221027_061117165.jpg
    IMG_20221027_061117165.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
What is the bath made of?
can you scrape the blue/green off or is it coming from the bath itself.

Depending on the material you can get good results with respraying them.

It could be copper. It usually comes from the hot tap and is caused by the water being agressive to the water in the pipes.

Hard water can cause this and using an enamel paint may fix it but the bath has to be dry - Sinai dry - for the paint to set properly. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it's copper stain from the pipes.

May be caused by a dripping tap providing a constant supply which dries leaving the deposit.

Recent plumbing work will cause it where the freshly cut copper or brass has not yet tarnished and built up a layer of scale.

Depending on your water hardness, it may clean off with an acid descaling bathroom cleaner like Viakal. Read the instructions because acids attack chrome plate.

Car paint cutting compound, fine wet & dry paper, scotch bright scourer, fine wire wool, brasso are all things you could try before resorting to painting ( it never lasts ).. If you manage to remove the stain then you may be able to bring the shine back with ordinary car polish.
As to the cause I would agree it looks like copper staining, but it would not have happened if the bath was cleaned regularly. I've also seen a similar thing caused by a lady who liked to liberally pour baby oil into her bath every morning.

Depending on the material you can get good results with respraying them.
Sorry to slightly disagree with you but painting never lasts long & you could probably get a new steel bath installed for less than a paint job.

The blue green stain looks like copper sulphate to me. When we lived in a house with spring water we used to see that - it was the result of our naturally mildly acidic spring water attacking the copper pipes and hot water cylinder (the kcylinders lasted 7 to 8 years on average). Dealing with it involved building a limestone "baffle" around the outfall from the underground cistern which captured the water from the spring. The stains themselvescame off by using a paste made up of of baking soda and cream of tartar in equal parts, left on the affected surfaces for maybe an hour before being rinsed off

If you are seeing this you do need to do something about the acidity of the water, because over time your copper pipes or more likely the hot water cylinder may start suffering from pinholing, and leaks

The blue green stain looks like copper sulphate to me. When we lived in a house with spring water we used to see that - it was the result of our naturally mildly acidic spring water attacking the copper pipes and hot water cylinder (the kcylinders lasted 7 to 8 years on average). Dealing with it involved building a limestone "baffle" around the outfall from the underground cistern which captured the water from the spring. The stains themselvescame off by using a paste made up of of baking soda and cream of tartar in equal parts, left on the affected surfaces for maybe an hour before being rinsed off

If you are seeing this you do need to do something about the acidity of the water, because over time your copper pipes or more likely the hot water cylinder may start suffering from pinholing, and leaks
Good point - is there something you can put into the water system to help soften hard water?

Hard water protects against green stain by leaving a protective layer of limescale on tbe pipes.

Give the Viakal a try.

Good point - is there something you can put into the water system to help soften hard water?
There must be, but first wouldn't you want to test the pH of incoming water to find out if it us alkaline or acid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back