climate change eh!

That's ok.

When nuclear was being installed I do remember that it was said that, when built, the electricity would cost virtually nothing and -

North Sea gas would relieve us from dependency on 'the Arabs' who had ten years earlier quadrupled the price.

Sponsored Links
How much do you think we would be paying if we hadn't had those two resources.?
The same - because despite all the promises (of free nuclear and cheap gas - there were such if you are too young to remember) they charged us the world market price despite the resources being in Britain.

I hate to admit it but I am old enough to remember, I actually worked on the construction of one of the early nuclear power stations, Wylfa on Anglesey.
I also should clarify my earlier post in that I meant that without nuclear power and north sea oil we would have had to rely on coal and good knows how much that would have cost irrespective of the health hazards,

Sponsored Links
The hook line from the nuclear industry was "energy too cheap to meter".

And the US's shale gas is only cheap because they have no realistic way of getting rid of it abroad. We'll just pipe ours to Europe, and end up paying basically what we already do anyway.

And the US's shale gas is only cheap because they have no realistic way of getting rid of it abroad. We'll just pipe ours to Europe, and end up paying basically what we already do anyway.

But surely, wherever the gas ends up, it should be cheaper as there's more of it?

Has anyone else noticed how much windier it is since the building of all these wind generators?

But surely, wherever the gas ends up, it should be cheaper as there's more of it?
One would have thought that by the same logic ( ;)) global warming would mean that the world is warmer which means there's more warmth/heat around .... and so our heating bills should go down :idea: :LOL: :LOL:

One would have thought that by the same logic ( ;)) global warming would mean that the world is warmer which means there's more warmth/heat around .... and so our heating bills should go down :idea: :LOL: :LOL:

(As an aside, it's not 'global warming' any more of course, it's 'climate change'.
The latter phrase means that the 'experts' are always right and they're covered whatever happens to the weather)

That's ok.

When nuclear was being installed I do remember that it was said that, when built, the electricity would cost virtually nothing and -

North Sea gas would relieve us from dependency on 'the Arabs' who had ten years earlier quadrupled the price.

All that is quite true of course, but as I say it was never said that it would cost nothing. There is always a cost to everything, maintenance and so on. In the case of nuclear I believe that the big cost, in terms of money, is in disposal of waste and de-commissioning. On the question of gas, it does mean that we are less dependent on the Arabs, we are now dependent on Russia :cry:

I don't know why, but that particular site clogged up my computer for several minutes. I thought it was a glitch so, perhaps stupidly, tried it again. Same thing.

it works for me, but it has a number of ad-tracking cookies (which are blocked on my PC)

If you look at the BBC news website, there's an item about scientists banging on about the ozone layer (again).

One suspects a pitch at governments for more money for funding dubious research into an imaginary problem.

Sponsored Links
Back