Climate change.

That doesn't mean to say that I don't think the climate is changing.

So whats causing the change then?
Why are the ice caps and glaciers receding?

Sponsored Links
Google wrote

•We are losing Earth's greatest biological treasures just as we are beginning to appreciate their true value. Rainforests once covered 14% of the earth's land surface; now they cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.

Does the loss of the rainforests amount to very little?
Would you call that "scratching" the surface?

The people who live in and around the rain forest have to make a living and there is always a demand for good quality hardwoods.
Remember that in pre-historic times Britain was just one large forest. AS man moved in and started using the forest for timber for building, every acre cleared meant another acre for agriculture, so the population could feed itself.
If we now encourage the retention of the rainforest by bribing the indigenous populations with a few wind turbines and low-energy light bulbs, then that's patronising.
We should use the earth's plentiful resources, whether timber, oil, coal, gas, minerals, to improve living standards for all mankind.
And the earth will still pass it's physical long after we're gone.

Google wrote

•We are losing Earth's greatest biological treasures just as we are beginning to appreciate their true value. Rainforests once covered 14% of the earth's land surface; now they cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.

Does the loss of the rainforests amount to very little?
Would you call that "scratching" the surface?

The people who live in and around the rain forest have to make a living and there is always a demand for good quality hardwoods.
Remember that in pre-historic times Britain was just one large forest. AS man moved in and started using the forest for timber for building, every acre cleared meant another acre for agriculture, so the population could feed itself.
If we now encourage the retention of the rainforest by bribing the indigenous populations with a few wind turbines and low-energy light bulbs, then that's patronising.
We should use the earth's plentiful resources, whether timber, oil, coal, gas, minerals, to improve living standards for all mankind.
And the earth will still pass it's physical long after we're gone.

But there's only 6% left.
Hows that plentiful?

The indigenous populations who make their living in the forest are forced from their homes to make way for deforestation.
How do they make a living out of the forest when its gone?

Sponsored Links

That seems to be the Chinese motto. Except for the "all mankind" part.

The planets resources are finite and encouraging wasteful use is the message of yesterday.

Norcon, Chapeau, Joe and all the other misguided people;
Something tells me I'm banging my head against a wall, and it reminds me of that saying: "there are none so blind as those who will not see".

Ressurrect this thread in 20 years time and let's see who got it right. Only time will tell.
I'm off to 'Building' and 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' now, where folk are a bit more down to earth. See ya.

Time is telling right now - check out the ice caps. ;)

That seems to be the Chinese motto. Except for the "all mankind" part.

The planets resources are finite and encouraging wasteful use is the message of yesterday.

PS just picked your post up.
The chinese are indeed pulling out all the stops, just as we did between the late 18th and early 20th centuries.
Why blame the chinese - presumably you buy chinese-made lap-tops, fridges, clothes, vacuum cleaners etc?

Norcon, Chapeau, Joe and all the other misguided people;
Something tells me I'm banging my head against a wall, and it reminds me of that saying: "there are none so blind as those who will not see".

Ressurrect this thread in 20 years time and let's see who got it right. Only time will tell.
I'm off to 'Building' and 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' now, where folk are a bit more down to earth. See ya.

How is resource depletion going to make this world a better place?

Time is telling right now - check out the ice caps. ;)

What is it with you and the ice caps??

So what if we loose a few polar bears - see one and you've seen them all.

And if the ice disappears, it will make any oil and gas in that region commercially available. Perhaps it is another North Sea in the making.
It could be a good thing.

How is resource depletion going to make this world a better place?

Using the earth's natural resources ultimately results in a better standard of living for everyone.

Not for everyone.

Then donate your car/computer/fridge/washing machine/tumble drier/microwave/dishwasher/central heating/electic kettle/toaster/power tools/lawn-mower etc to a third-world charity. That might even things out a bit.

Sponsored Links
Back