Climate: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will see millions of people relocating due to climate change, so if you enjoy the idea of far more people coming to our shores than they do currently, then continue not caring. This is in a time frame of most people's lives, and is avoidable. Whereas an asteroid type disaster is not expected in any reasonable timeframe.

What my personal impact is, is unimportant. For example, I'm not going to judge an American who lives in a car centric city, where they have to drive to do anything. They live in a high carbon economy. The UK is heading towards that in many ways, despite taking measures to counter it. There is little they can do to change that system in which they live. Short of voting for someone who will change things, or pushing those in power to do the right thing.

I do cycle most places, but I'm not going to judge people that don't. Most people I work with live too far from work to do this.

So people will come to the UK because they are being fried to death elsewhere... Can you give any examples of where this is happening? Or when it will happen?

Presumably if they're all fried to death we won't have anything to worry about... or, wait, won't the sea levels have risen to quench all the burning flames?

I'm losing count of the bizarre, doom laden scenarios. Didn't some plonker at the UN say there would be global boiling? Will that be existing liquids or will all solids enter a molten phase?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly what I said
You said both of you said it.

So you are being dishonest.

I make no such assumption; without a market for it though, it's wasted.
And overproduction - of chemicals - decreases the price (increased price was one of the crutches you used, to bolster the otherwise-unprofitable - through no fuel revenues - petro industry).
WTF are banging on about now?

1) let’s say production of oil extraction is going to lower

2) we know refining oil produces fuel oil and petrochemicals

3) if demand for fuel oil reduces because of renewables but we we need petrochemicals….then new technology can alter the ratio…and so oil extraction can reduce whilst maintaining demand for petrochemicals

4) ergo we don’t have overproduction of fuel oil nor do we have over production of petrochemicals

Is it really that hard

It was a statement of fact; you're ranting - and doing lots of it - lately
It was an ad hominem

You originally responded to my post because you wanted to have a go at me and you thought you could make an easy win.

It turns out you hadn’t thought it through, you’ve got owned, and now you are twisting what was said.

Shame on you.

So people will come to the UK because they are being fried to death elsewhere... Can you give any examples of where this is happening? Or when it will happen
Wobs did not:

1) say they were coming to the UK
2) say they were being fried

Here is an example

A recent World Bank report on climate migration found that 4.1 million Bangladeshis were displaced in 2019 due to flooding

Definitely not settled.

Much cooler now than it has been in the past without human society. Much warmer when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and at other points, then much colder in ongoing cycles. It's a shame people don't study geology or the history of the earth.

Warmer periods correspond with outbursts of life and colder periods with mass extinctions. All happened before, over and over. We will be wiped out by a massive meteorite or multiple volcanic eruptions long before we are harmed by the effects of warming (if we ever are significantly harmed by that).

And the bed wetters will be none the wiser as they will have been long dead and forgotten. Get on with life guys. Enjoy your cars and other fun things and be grateful you were given the gift that is life at a time in history when it has scarcely been easier. Rather than moping about fretting about temperatures and what is causing their endless change. Not that any of you plan to change your habits of course :)
It was warmer in the past due to volcanic activity releasing megatonnes of gas into the atmosphere which caused a greenhouse affect. Our version isn't so dramatic but the outcome is very similar.

Sponsored Links
You originally responded to my post because you wanted to have a go at me and you thought you could make an easy win.

It turns out you hadn’t thought it through, you’ve got owned, and now you are twisting what was said.

Shame on you.

Guessing, projection, desperate for "wins" on a forum......

Get a grip. (y)

Warmer periods correspond with outbursts of life and colder periods with mass extinctions. :)
Yes that is what I said also many posts ago through human history man has thrived and advanced in warmer climates. Humanity wise there is nothing to fear about a warming world, its a folly to send billions trying to stop it ( which we cant ) any money should be spent on adapting to it.
We have lunatic scientists talking about trying to block out the Sun - its madness.
But by all means lets have clean air and water.

We will see millions of people relocating due to climate change, so if you enjoy the idea of far more people coming to our shores than they do currently, then continue not caring.
Why would there be millions coming here when - because of the warming there will be many countries and areas currently not suitable to sustain life that will become habitable.

WTF are banging on about now?

1) let’s say production of oil extraction is going to lower

2) we know refining oil produces fuel oil and petrochemicals

3) if demand for fuel oil reduces because of renewables but we we need petrochemicals….then new technology can alter the ratio…and so oil extraction can reduce whilst maintaining demand for petrochemicals

4) ergo we don’t have overproduction of fuel oil nor do we have over production of petrochemicals

Is it really that hard

Oil extraction and refining is a multi-trillion dollar industry.
Supported by billions of dollars worth of infrastructure, and employing likely millions of people.
To maintain all of that relies on volume of production.

Do you really think the industry can lower production by any significant amount without fundamental, possibly existential effects on its future viability?

Also, consider that these oil-derived chemicals are the ones that:

- have toxic properties
- give rise to toxic byproducts
- are the "persistent" chemicals that the world wants rid of.

Over time, the market for these things is only going to shrink, and the demand for bio-alternatives increase.

Question for those who have been on GD longer than me. Is the charming berty3000 an alias of a former poster? Does his posting style ring any bells?

It was warmer in the past due to volcanic activity releasing megatonnes of gas into the atmosphere which caused a greenhouse affect. Our version isn't so dramatic but the outcome is very similar.

Err, wrong way round. That would cause cooling as the sun's light is blocked out.

When was the last instance of rapid Earth warming, when 8 billion fossil fuel hungry humans roamed the Earth?

I'll wait...

It has been much warmer than it is now, on numerous occasions. Are you suggesting that dinosaurs and trilobites were burning fossil fuels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back