clipping direct and sheathing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm just doing work intended for my part p assessment and have a question. I'm working on a semi detached with a side garage joined to the house by a 4ft wide verandah/lean to. there are concrete floors in the house on the side of the verandah. I am providing power to the lean to via the down stairs ring and to the garage via 20A radial. If i bring cable through the wall leaf to the verandah/leanto I understand that i will have to provide a sheath for it, sealed on the inside wall in order to protect the cable from possible moisture within the cavity,is that correct? and whilst taking cable along outside wall (within lean to) can i just clip direct or do I have to provide means of mechanical protection or say mini trunking to provide against ultraviolet rays as there is a partly opaque/translucent (see through) roof.

many thanks in anticipation. dont take this as a sign of ignorance just ultra caution.

please help should have put a more attractive heading

Sponsored Links
You need to provide a conduit etc as the cable passes through the cavity - can't have pieces of slate or brick dropping down the cavity and slicing through the cable can we ;) .
As for outside, as the cable is run in a place where there is direct sunlight then I'd be inclined to use some sort of trunking or conduit.

There is no real need to sleeve a cable through a wall. Makes for a quality job, but certainly not a requirement.

I would look to use PVC conduit outside, not so much as protection against UV effects on the cables sheath, but to provide additional mechanical protection due to the environment.

I am assuming a 20amp radial to the garage with possibly an FCU for the light? Considered an RCD I hope? You should also really be using metal clad fittings and using conduit.

Power to the lean to fed from the ring final? Thats fine assuming RCD protection and only a single point is fed if spurring.

Are you checking and updating the main equipotential bonding too? Part P chappy will be looking at that I guarantee.

thank you lec and spark123. so leanto on the ring then with a plastic conduit and a sleeve of 22mm copper pipe? through wall cavity?

Sponsored Links
Some combi's don't need SB if they have a metal plate that all the pipes are connected to.

No boilers require main eq bonding unless they are introucing a potential from outside........rad pipes run externally etc. It's the gas and water you need to worry about.

I would not bother sleeving the cable through the wall, and if I did, I would use some conduit, not copper pipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back