Clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
It is when you consider the basic time zone we have chosen to be in.
How have we chosen it?
GMT is noon at 12 o'clock at Greenwich.

If you look at a map, and take note of our latitude and longitude we should be on Central European time.
Why?
France and Spain have 'Summertime' in the Winter and 'double Summertime' in the Summer

DST is a separate issue, and those most vociferously in favour of it seem to be the most inclined to ignore the reality that we have the amount of daylight we have, and that amount cannot be changed by fiddling with where we have the arbitrary positions of pointers on devices which display the time.
No they don't, they want to 'move' the light hours before they get up to the evening when they are still up.

How have we chosen it?
GMT is noon at 12 o'clock at Greenwich.
But we choose to work "9 to 5" and not "10 to 6"

Or "6 to 2".

France and Spain have 'Summertime' in the Winter and 'double Summertime' in the Summer
No they don't. They've chosen a time zone. And at the moment have DST of + 1 hour in the summer months.

Please don't be a pedantic t**t and argue that every country's time zone should be described wrt UTC.

No they don't, they want to 'move' the light hours before they get up to the evening when they are still up.
Then instead of saying "what was 08:00 is now 09:00", why not have businesses change their work hours from "9 to 5" to "8 to 4"?

But we choose to work "9 to 5" and not "10 to 6"
Or "6 to 2".
So, nothing to do with the time zone, then.

No they don't. They've chosen a time zone.
Ok. They have chosen a time zone permanently one hour ahead of the Sun, i.e. GMT+1 or UTC+1.

And at the moment have DST of + 1 hour in the summer months.
Not really, in the Winter they have DST of +1, but, they are DST of + 2 hours (GMT+2 or UTC+2)in the summer months.

Please don't be a pedantic t**t and argue that every country's time zone should be described wrt UTC.
What else can it be described wrt?

Then instead of saying "what was 08:00 is now 09:00", why not have businesses change their work hours from "9 to 5" to "8 to 4"?
Well, that IS what we do in the Summer. We just still call it 9 to 5 by altering the clocks as well.

Sponsored Links
PS If EFL's harmless posts "spoil your life" you clearly don't have one.

that we have the amount of daylight we have, and that amount cannot be changed by fiddling with where we have the arbitrary positions of pointers on devices which display the time.
Wrong...change the times enough and it would be dark all day

But we would still have the same amount of daylight.

You're not very good at this, are you.

I expect next that you, or one of your fellow travellers, will try to claim your idiocy was actually meant to be humour.

But we would still have the same amount of daylight.

You're not very good at this, are you.

I expect next that you, or one of your fellow travellers, will try to claim your idiocy was actually meant to be humour.
Oh dear, you still havent learnt.

Fellow traveller.....still not phrase in common use. Try an American forum :ROFLMAO:

Oh dear, you still havent learnt.
No, that will be you that will.

Fellow traveller.....still not phrase in common use.
I find that the gulf between what I know and what some other people here know often leads to me using words and phrases with which they are unfamiliar.

Try an American forum :ROFLMAO:
Try learning.

And try realising that if you know what something means it matters not how commonly used it is.

find that the gulf between what I know and what some other people here know often leads to me using words and phrases with which they are unfamiliar

Don't put yourself down, I guess you cant help your lack of ability to communicate with others.

Keep practicing, you might catch up. (y)

Don't put yourself down, I guess you cant help your lack of ability to communicate with others.
The lack of ability is rooted in other people's shortcomings.

It seems I can never dumb down what I write enough to allow for their gobsmacking ignorance.

Oh look - another of the ones afflicted with gobsmacking ignorance.

No surprise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back