Cloth covered wire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i went to a local electrical supplier today to get some of this cable to renew a steam iron flex.

The woman in the shop told me that it is no longer available & once the flex is damaged you need to replace the iron. Seems a bit stupid!

Anyone know if this cable is available still?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I once wrote to Tefal because our new iron had only 2 metres of flex (the old one had more). This flex barely reaches across the worktop to the end of the ironing board. They told me that its long enough for most people and is pretty much standard. I disagree, and if it were plugged into a low level socket (in a living room etc) it would be even worse with tension on the wire at the extremities of the board, which many people wouldnt realise was a bad thing. It may even prompt people to use cable reel extensions, which they wont fully unwind and exceed the capacity of them (many are only 5 amps, less wound up), creating mroe safety issues.

I never thought to replace the flex :LOL:

I once wrote to Tefal because our new iron had only 2 metres of flex (the old one had more). This flex barely reaches across the worktop to the end of the ironing board. They told me that its long enough for most people and is pretty much standard. I disagree, and if it were plugged into a low level socket (in a living room etc) it would be even worse with tension on the wire at the extremities of the board, which many people wouldnt realise was a bad thing.

I mentioned this to a mate of mine when round at his house over the weekend. Exactly the same scenario, ironing in the living room and plugged into a low level socket, it was impossible to even reach across the entire length of the board. I suppose this is why the manufacturers have suddenly started ironing boards with integrated extension leads, at a premium of course.

Sponsored Links
I never thought to replace the flex :LOL:
First thing I do whenever we get a new iron... ;)

42248078.jpg
+
42404087.jpg
+
42249432.jpg

:D

Could be on to an idea there Rob, actually fitting the bungee flex to the iron itself? :cool:

They told me that its long enough for most people and is pretty much standard.

There are a number of new irons that come with a 3m long flex, or at least there were in 2008 when we replaced our old one. However, there are far more than only have a 2m lead.

Could be on to an idea there Rob, actually fitting the bungee flex to the iron itself? :cool:

It's not heat resistant ;)

We've got a curly extention at home though, and it works a treat. Good for the vac too :LOL:

First thing with any iron my mother or mother-in-laws buys is to open and change flex. Mainly to convert to left hand operation as both left handed. Only since going to cordless has this stopped.

First thing with any iron my mother or mother-in-laws buys is to open and change flex. Mainly to convert to left hand operation as both left handed. Only since going to cordless has this stopped.
Dont most irons now have those "ball" type flex inlets? Where the flex swivels about 60 degrees in either direction from the back of the handle?

And cordless? This one has passed me by!! :)

And cordless? This one has passed me by!! :)

No, it was a while ago now, you probably wont remember it. The iron had to be placed on a hot stove for a while to charge it, although unfortunately these original designs didn't tend to last very long before they needed recharging.

No, it was a while ago now, you probably wont remember it. The iron had to be placed on a hot stove for a while to charge it, although unfortunately these original designs didn't tend to last very long before they needed recharging.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: My grandma had one :LOL: Just as an ornament though ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back