Co alarm for boiler in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rental property that is now required to have co alarm in every room where combustible devices are present. The combi boiler is installed in an airing cupboard which is 1m x 1m x ceiling height so it would appear not within rules to install it in this area as outside the 1-3 metre limit. Should I install it outside the door just above head height. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I would install it 1m away from the appliance outside the room. We were always taught, if it’s in the same room separated by a door, it’s unlikely to be heard.

The requirements are for occupied rooms - and an airing cupboard wouldn't fit this description. It raises an interesting question as to whether having the boiler in an airing cupboard with closed doors means that it's not "in" the occupied room - not thought about that before :unsure:
As CBW says, put it in the main room, near the airing cupboard - observing manufacturer's instructions (e.g. it can't be too close to the wall or it's in "dead" air and will be less responsive).
My preference is for the AICO stuff, and with CO & heat alarms (I use the heat/CO combination in kitchens and garages with a boiler) all interlinked with the smoke alarms.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back