cointra supreme 11 e ts - legal to install in UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a Cointra Supreme 11 e ts instant hot water boiler installed in my garage conversion to provide hot water for a shower and sink.

I sourced/supplied the boiler and my plumber installed it.

It's technically quite an advanced boiler and complies with EU CE regs allowing sale across the EU.

However, I've asked for a safety certificate only to be told the boiler has no gas council number so one can't be issued. Is this really true? GCN relates the gas equipment on sale in the UK. This was sourced from Germany and since it complies with the necessary EU regs can be purchased in the UK.

What's the truth?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by safety certificate? Is your installer saying they are unable to register the installation with gas safe?

Don't see why a certificate can't be issued on an appliance without a gc number.

As long as it has a data plate with all necessary information to be able to test that the appliance is working safely and it has been commissioned properly then you should be ok.

Last edited:
What's so advanced about it?

With closed combustion chamber and the blower, the Cointra Supreme 11 E TS meets the highest safety standards. A new ECS system (electronic fuel management ) also allows continuous monitoring of the gas combustion and reduces emissions of polluting substances . The desired water temperature is set digitally before use. The water heater can measure the temperature of the outflowing water exactly . The unit also has a novel modulation system ( similar to the system previously used mainly in central heating systems ) . All this has the consequence that only the exact amount of gas is consumed , which is actually necessary for the heating of the water . Thus no cold water must be supplied for temperature regulation. Compared to other devices, the unit uses this way about 20% less gas and up to 35 % less water. The device dimensions are particularly small. Height / width / depth of 11 litre model : 595/295 / 195 mm (30% smaller than comparable devices). The water heater can thus be easily installed in any motor home, caravan, boat or home. The device is equipped with standard 1/2 inch connections for water and gas, and a large display. The Cointra Supreme models are particularly well suited for use in the field of solar energy without intermediate or controls. The precise temperature control ensures maximum comfort and energy efficiency.

Sponsored Links
Basically dan.

It's got a blower and a novel modulation system:D;)

Gas safe registration is what I mean, yes.

Sounds encouraging. That's pretty much my understanding.

I'm starting to wonder if he's not properly qualified and is making excuses.

Hmmmm seems highly advanced!?

I'm gutted now that I have never used these rather than the numerous other alternatives that are as efficient and also have cheaper parts and are more widely available.

OP why did you get a plumber to install it?

Jon

Glad my ignorance is providing entertainment for everyone.

Jon - Can you elaborate on what comparable UK room sealed LPG water heaters are available? I had a look around before I went for the Cointra. Morco seemed to be the only other option.

The Rinnai 11i looks good. I'll know what to go for if the Cointra dies one day.

He's definitely gas safe registered. Not sure about LPG though.

I spoke with gas safe product registrations. They confirmed that a GC number is not required for boiler registration.

I also spoke with the plumber and asked him to get on with the registration. Ball is firmly in his court.

As far as I was aware, appliances have to through a scheme like Advantica testing to be sold in the UK, even if they are sold in other parts of Europe.

If I was your installer I'd be ringing Gas Safe to check, before connecting it. Otherwise he will be blamed.

Rinnai Japan are the largest gas equipment manufacturer in the World and do everything your internet model does, but probably more reliably.

Just noticed they are sold by a distributor in the UK and are part of...Ferolli.

Best of luck with it. If it is sourced direct from Germany I doubt it can be legally fitted. You can't fit a German Vaillant or Bosch, for instance.

So they are. That's new.

Since it's an LPG boiler targeted at the caravan market, with a bit of luck, it will be the same product sold across the EU. The CE certification certainly implies this. I'll contact Cointra directly to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back