Cold mixer sink tap takes ages to come on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom sink (ground floor). I have a mixer tap, the cold tap sometimes takes up to a minute to come on. It's worse seems to happen when the tap has not been used for a while, e.g. first thing in the morning. Once it has come on if you turn it off then on a few minutes later you don't get that delay.

The hot tap is fine and no other problems with any other tap in the house. does it sound like we have a leak somewhere. We have tried to look but can't see anything (but as every most of the pipework is in walls) or any damp patches through plaster etc.

Any thoughts really welcome. thanks

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but I do enjoy lateral thinking to try to get at the problem (until a real plumber comes along!)

Is your cold water mains fed or from a cold tank in the loft?

Did you install the pipes to the sink?

Ha it always done this or has it just started, and if the latter, did it coincide with some other alterations, nails or screws being cunk into nearby walls, etc etc?

I think they come from a cold tank in the loft. the pipes were there when we moved in.

We noticed the problem a few weeks after we moved in but we have no done any alteration near by. We've been all over the loft doing other things but not seen any leaks up there.

I'm flummoxed (but it doesn't take much)

Again, in the spirit of helpful comments, and until a real plumber appears, when you say it takes ages for the tap to run cold, do you mean there is no water at all, just air, for a while, or is it warm when it should be cold?

Do any other taps downstairs do it?

I guess it might be being sucked back by some other tap somewhere, in which case, get someone else to quickly open a tap upstairs and see if the water comes out any quicker.....

Looking forward to hearing the resolution!

Sponsored Links
It could be the jumper in the tap (the bit that holds the washer) sticking down - if neither air or water is immediately forthcoming.
John :) (Artificial plumber) :p

Haven't thought to check if air comes out, just noted that there was an absence of cold water!

Hot tap works OK

we live in a bungalow and all other taps seem OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back