Cold, very cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We smelt gas outside the front of our housing block right on a busy road for the first time a week ago, and called transco.

Guy came out and turned off the gas at my property at the meter because he had detected a leak in the internal pipes somewhere. That was over a week ago. I got an engineer out who said despite the smell not being detected near my flat, because there is a 1MB/2sec drop on my meter (and distributed over 2 sections of the pipe in opposite ends of my flat 0.5/0.5mb), all the floors/walls may need to be opened up in my flat and pipes replaced.

Surely this cant be right? A smell away from my flat, and a tiny drop on my pipes means i need to fork out for expensive works? Its not like the smell was in my flat, or even detectable with a human nose?

Sorry if i sound irrational given its gas, i dont know much about this stuff, the cold has got to me! Would do the work if it was a proper leak

Andy

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed any leak on your pipe work.

The reason for the detection is immaterial. Someone came in with your permission, did a leak test, with you permission and subsequently found a leak on the pipe work.

Where the leak is and how repairable is not easy to judge online.

Would do the work if it was a proper leak

Not quite sure how to read this - a leak is a leak. What is improper about it?

Still the fact remains. No perceptible drop is allowed on installation pipe work.

You have 1mBar in 2 seconds.... that is not a small leak.

With appliances connected and with a U6 meter and average domestic install (pedants on standby ;)) you are allowed 4mBar over 2 MINUTES.

Sorry, i wrote incorrectly its a 1MB over 2minute drop

The engineer said that "the size of leak couldnt be detected by the human nose, but either way, you are check mated, you have to get the work done".

The leak exists 0.4 in the kitchen, and 0.5 in the lounge

Its just a real tough time to need to fork out to pay for all the floors to be pulled up to correct such a small leak (small - his words)

Thanks for reply
Andy

Sponsored Links
That can be permissible WITH the appliances connected!

BUT only when there is no small of gas!

If anyone smells gas then NO leakage is permissible !

In your case someone has smelled gas and the onus is for you to get it repaired.

You dont say, but I presume the engineer isolated the appliances and found the leakage on your pipework?

Tony

correct yeah, on the pipework under the floorboards in a few of the rooms

That is pretty rare in my experience!

Is the pipework copper or screwed steel?

Tony

If had a gas leak below the floor I'd be getting it sorted, as soon as possible.

Tony - not 100%, but would guess copper

Thanks for replies, sounds a bit like i am cold until i can afford to do it

If i get the work done, and the leak is made up of smalls in many of the rooms in the flat, do i have to get all rooms down to zero?

The engineer said most of it was in the pipe running boiler to front room which i would happily turn off and leave the rest given its so cold.

Feels like because i reported smelling it in the communal entrance, i need to get it done, even though the smell could easily have been something from outside given we are on a real busy road

Its your pipes diagnosed as leaking.

He must have cut and capped some pipes to come to that conclusion.

Copper once exposed would be quite cheap to fix.

If he has been able to isolate the pipes to the front room that that could be fixed later and the kitchen one done first.

Tony

Yep he cut and capped a couple of pipes as he got access to a main junction that sends the gas once in the property between the oven, boiler and front room. Most is sent to the living room, but 0.3-0.4mb of the 1mb is in the kitchen still.

The big issue is that the pipes all disappear under the wooden floor. If we left the front room capped off, bringing down the leak to 0.30.4mb, i assume that still needs sorting and flooring in kitchen would prolly need lifting up?

Incredibly keen to get some heating/hot water back!

Either way, am i correct in saying i don't really have any choice here, i need to man up, save up, and get this work done before i get any heating/hot water back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back