Cold, very cold

If the floors are wood then someone at some time must have been under them (rads etc) It won't be a big job like they were encased under concrete.

Find a way under and look for solder joints. Hopefully, if you squirt soapy water on them you will see a little bubble form. Then you can direct the gas man to the very spot that needs sorting and it will be a 10 minute fix. No need to panic.

Sponsored Links
Find a way under and look for solder joints. Hopefully, if you squirt soapy water on them you will see a little bubble form. Then you can direct the gas man to the very spot that needs sorting and it will be a 10 minute fix. No need to panic.[/quote]

Not very likely, as the gas has been disconnected. :)

Oh yeah. :oops: :mrgreen: He can at least make the pipes getable atable.

But Joe 90 would put mains water in the pipe and look for the water leaking out!

Sponsored Links
He could attach a car tyre pump to it. :mrgreen:

That can be permissible WITH the appliances connected!

Tony, are you sure about that? :confused: Careful now as I make mistakes but you do not :eek:

By the way, Happy New Year Tony

and rest of the team and visitors who come here

Thanks for replies. The wooden floor is this engineered laminate stuff that kinda clips together i think (was there when i moved in). I have had a look, it doesn't want to come up...think the lot would end up needing to be pulled up.

Under that, looking in the corner, it looks like a cardboard kinda flooring. Can stick a hand under in the corner away...So with the lounge capped off (and i am happy to leave it that way rather than get the work done at the minute), the drop will fall to 0.4. If the engineer fella sticks his gas rod under the floorboard gap and still cant smell any release, i assume i'd still need to get the work done?

I am basically in denial because i cant afford it plus the gas smell was not near my flat, i was the guy who called to announce it.

Cheers again for replies, this is a great site

I am basically in denial because i cant afford it plus the gas smell was not near my flat, i was the guy who called to announce it.

You are in a sticky situation. The size of leak is normally permissable WITH appliances attached and NO SMELL reported. The problem is that it has now been tested without apliances, so it is undeniably not allowed.

I don't undertand why the rgi disconnected appliances to test if there was no smell. BUT - if there was no smell, why test at all?

Unfortunately, the damage is done, and there is no way of ignoriing it.
Incidentally, there are a few guys here who insist that they would allow no leak at all!

There is a new line to this story. Gas has just been turned back on by transco with the lounge capped off. Tested the tightenss or something, and there was a zero reading for 2mins. Will leave the lounge capped off.

I appreciate all the responses on here in my time of need, this is a great site. Perhaps its just some common sense being applied on the proviso of the lounge being capped off given that was (most of) the leak, and given the gas smell wasn't near my flat.

Thanks

In which circumstances did Transco come out and turn the gas on?

For anyone reading it may be helpful if I clarify a few facts.

If a smell of gas is reported then an RGI has to disconnect EVEN if the leakage is so low that it would otherwise be permissible!

If there is NO smell of gas and an RGI identifies a small leak WITH the appliances connected then he can leave it connected!

BUT in that senario, IF the RGI then disconnects the appliances and discovers the leak is in the pipework then he MUST turn it off.

Apart from being nasty, or looking for more work, there is no actual REQUIREMENT for an RGI to disconnect the appliances to see if the leak is in the appliances or the pipework.

Perhaps its just some common sense being applied on the proviso of the lounge being capped off given that was (most of) the leak

Most of the leak? But it's just been tested and you say there was no leak after 2mins. It's either leaking or it isn't?

Call me cynical but I wondered how long it was going to take before the gas was turned back on, one way or another.

Perhaps its just some common sense being applied on the proviso of the lounge being capped off given that was (most of) the leak

Most of the leak? But it's just been tested and you say there was no leak after 2mins. It's either leaking or it isn't?

Call me cynical but I wondered how long it was going to take before the gas was turned back on, one way or another.

By most of i mean less than 0.1mb but not perfectly zero

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back